what are the best fish for a 90 gallon reef tank?

ben canant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey people i am getting my 90 gallon reef tank ready and would like to hear some good ideas for reef safe fish. any cool species? thanks!

socal619

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tangs, clowns, wrasses, cardinals, see what you like just make sure there compatiable.

Spendley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ultimately check out the fish that you like, and pay attention to their compatibility and minimum tank size recommendations. Sometimes the 'cool species' can be a little more expensive than a similar fish of the same family, get a couple of fish that you feel comfortable with and go from there. Remember, your tank should be up for years coming, so no rush to get all of the goodies in right away.

Oh, and ultimately it is your choice! Advice is great and welcomed obviously, but just because someone else put fishes 1,2,3,4,5 in their tank doesn't mean you can't go with a completely different setup.

Enjoy

OP
OP
B

ben canant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you!! i plan in putting about 6 different species of tang in the tank

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First let me clarify I am not a card carrying member of the "tang police".
That said six tangs in a 90 gallon is asking for trouble due to overcrowding and territorial disputes.

If you list the tangs you are interested in people will more than likely speak up with their suggestions.

Chris07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal experience is no triggers and no maroon clowns. That's just my experience though. My maroon was very territorial and would grab frag plugs, flip em, knock em over and I've heard that about other ppl with maroons. My triggers would pick at clams and pretty much any invert I had.

Salty heart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pajama cardinals,bengaii cardinals,chromis,firefish,percula clowns,yellow tang(1)--just to name a few!Good luck!

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paracheilinus spp. and Cirrhilabrus spp. wrasses are my personal favorites for medium-sized reef tanks. They are colorful and spend most of their time in the middle of the water column. If you want a tang, I would steer away from Zebrasoma spp. tangs (Yellow, Purple etc) as they need more swimming space than a 90g affords. Take a look at the Ctenochaetus spp. tangs (Kole, Tomini etc.) as they are smaller and less aggressive.

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Niger triggers,blue jaws and sargassum triggers are the most reefsafe triggers out there,But they will eat shrimp and crabs when they get older but shouldn't touch coral,And I agree with jdl515 6 tangs is to much for 90 gal I'd put 2 possibly 3 tangs in that tank at most and I'd get young fish so you could keep them in there for a while.Most tangs will outgrow a 90 gallon.

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put a Picasso in a reef tank,There known to eat some coral and inverts.Also iv heard of them tearing up equipment like cords in the tank lol.If you realy want a trigger I would look into sargassum or blue jaws both are beautiful fish

OP
OP
B

ben canant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thank you! triggers are my favorite kinds of fish, i was looking at that artificial reef but i dont know how good the quality is

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also another good fish for a 90 gal is a fox face rabbit fish.There realy cool and help maintain algea,

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thank you! triggers are my favorite kinds of fish, i was looking at that artificial reef but i dont know how good the quality is
No problem.I love triggerfish to Im in the process of setting up fish only tank for my wife just so I can put a trigger in it lol.

OP
OP
B

ben canant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! bad part is i really like coral, im going to put spme more research into the idea and ill see how it goes

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya nothing compares to a nice reef you won't be disappointed if you go that route.And there's alot of cool fish you can put in reefs to just not many triggers.Keep us updated!

Chris07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had my trigger touch any coral but forget about clams, shrimp, and snails

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back