What are these eggs

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
Not sure if this specific matter belongs in here, but I need an Egg ID. Came back from work to see a stringy white substance covered in eggs coming out from the zoas right near where my Damselfish and Clownfish live/host the anenome. Just wanted to see if anyone could tell me what they are.
Cheers

Attachments

• VID20221204182337.mp4
    7.5 MB

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
Not sure if this specific matter belongs in here, but I need an Egg ID. Came back from work to see a stringy white substance covered in eggs coming out from the zoas right near where my Damselfish and Clownfish live/host the anenome. Just wanted to see if anyone could tell me what they are.
Cheers
Possibly limpet eggs. These are generally good algae grazers.

OP
OP
F

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it could be. Do they generally have 'sack' around them that they are contained in. Every other time I've had limpet eggs I haven had that.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it could be. Do they generally have 'sack' around them that they are contained in. Every other time I've had limpet eggs I haven had that.
From what I'm seeing online, different species of limpets reproduce by laying sack-like or coil-shaped egg masses or even spawning directly into the water column. What did your previous eggs look like/do you have pictures?

OP
OP
F

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pictures unfortunately, but I've had semi spiralled/coiled shape eggs laid. I've found the coil layers are generally a bit bigger then the broadcast spawners.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 92 43.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back