What can I add to my tank?

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 90 gallon, with not too many rocks, no sand, and filtration rated for 400 gallons.

I have:
Threadfin snapper 6”
Blue throat trigger 5”
Marine beta 4”
Zebra eel 30”

I’m trying to add colorful, oddball, semi aggressive or peaceful fish to my tank. Such as, lyretail hog, harlequin tusk, a small coral cat shark, Quoyi parrotfish, ribbon eel, squirrel fish etc. any other recommendations, or things I should know about these? I will only be adding another 2-4 depending on what they are

And before the fish police chime in, yes I know that some of these fish will outgrow my tank, and I have plans for all of them.

Thanks!

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Quoyi parrot fish not a good idea. I got one and it was in QT eating good and everything no apparent disease fat and happy and next thing I knew it was dead. Got to reading and it seems to be a common occurrence for them.

Fish only you might check out a medium angelfish. Lots of cool colors.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 90 gallon, with not too many rocks, no sand, and filtration rated for 400 gallons.

I have:
Threadfin snapper 6”
Blue throat trigger 5”
Marine beta 4”
Zebra eel 30”

I’m trying to add colorful, oddball, semi aggressive or peaceful fish to my tank. Such as, lyretail hog, harlequin tusk, a small coral cat shark, Quoyi parrotfish, ribbon eel, squirrel fish etc. any other recommendations, or things I should know about these? I will only be adding another 2-4 depending on what they are

And before the fish police chime in, yes I know that some of these fish will outgrow my tank, and I have plans for all of them.

Thanks!
Thought about an angel? Semi aggressive and all are super colorful, dwarfs and large alike!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish I think is by far the funnest and most interesting in the hobby are the wrasse of the genus Novaculichthys. The dragon and sea grass wrasse. They are just so incredibly fun and odd. The dragon is too big for that size tank but the sea grass isn’t.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had a few angels, all of them have taken over the tank, and were huge bullies. Definitely a cool fish though!
Fair, they are bold! Thought about anthias then? This is my lyertail male and one of the 4 females in his harem

Attachments

• 173149D4-4B46-48EA-BE9D-9854EF4175E3.png
    173149D4-4B46-48EA-BE9D-9854EF4175E3.png
    850.9 KB · Views: 28

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have:
Threadfin snapper 6”
Blue throat trigger 5”
Marine beta 4”
Zebra eel 30”

Thanks!
I’ll also say that lyretail hogs are very hard to find nowadays. Coral cat is too big as someone else said. Quoyi parrotfish have very low long term survival rates. Ribbon eels have very low short term survival rates.

Other cool suggestions are snake eels though they are also difficult like ribbons. Engineer gobies. Dwarf lionfish, the fuzzy is very cool IMO. Waspfish. Soapfish.

OP
OP
F

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair, they are bold! Thought about anthias then? This is my lyertail male and one of the 4 females in his harem
I haven’t, but I’m afraid that my snapper will eat them, he has eaten a chromis before, and from what I’ve read, they are about the same size, and temperament

OP
OP
F

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll also say that lyretail hogs are very hard to find nowadays. Coral cat is too big as someone else said. Quoyi parrotfish have very low long term survival rates. Ribbon eels have very low short term survival rates.

Other cool suggestions are snake eels though they are also difficult like ribbons. Engineer gobies. Dwarf lionfish, the fuzzy is very cool IMO. Waspfish. Soapfish.
Aren’t snake eels really active? And get pretty big?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren’t snake eels really active? And get pretty big?
They get long but not big and they are sometimes very active but usually very not. I have two and have an article published on here if you want to know more.

OP
OP
F

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish I think is by far the funnest and most interesting in the hobby are the wrasse of the genus Novaculichthys. The dragon and sea grass wrasse. They are just so incredibly fun and odd. The dragon is too big for that size tank but the sea grass isn’t.
Definitely! but don’t they need sand?

OP
OP
F

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They get long but not big and they are sometimes very active but usually very not. I have two and
Shoot
Just saw that. You can add a basin of sand but that may ruin your aesthetic. Fine one last suggestion. A searobin.
IMG_4113.jpeg
Think that’s what I’m gonna add, that’s probably the most odd fish I’ve seen

Thanks for the help!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t, but I’m afraid that my snapper will eat them, he has eaten a chromis before, and from what I’ve read, they are about the same size, and temperament
Huh is the snapper big?

Back