What color T5s do you guys prefer?

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I am about to get a T5 retro kit before too long and I was wondering what you guys like best to make your zoos stand out?

It has been recommended to me so far to get the following (my tank is only 12.5" [45g tall], so only 4 bulbs for now :) ):

ATI Blue Plus
Giesemann 10000k AquaSun
UVL SuperActinic
Giesemann12000k AquaBlue

Anyone using the ATI ProColor?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Brandon

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the UVI Super Actinics 54w and they are as good if not better then the old VHO super actinics.

IBMGeek

I Brake for Zoos!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the UVI Super Actinics 54w and they are as good if not better then the old VHO super actinics.

What did you have before? I have a ati true actic and its not too bright. Thinking of switching to the super actinic.

MrPicasso

Chalice Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of switching my bulbs as well. Looking to get as much blue and glow as possible.

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running this bulb combo on my 6 bulb fixture and absolutely love it.

Geisemann Actinic +
Korallen Fiji Purple
Korallen Coral Light
Geismann Actinic +
Korallen Fiji Purple
Geismann Pure Actinic

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the ati blueplus is the best bulb out there, i would run two of those, an actinic and either a daylight or 11k bulb,

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the VHO Super actinic which was the best actinic bulb out there till me ballast caught fire. So I went to T-5 and was looking for something compareable to that and the only one I found was the UVI Super actinic.....I had seen other actinic bulbs at LFS and from my perspective the UVI were the best actinic I saw as far as making colors pop.....

dc_909

Zoanthid Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the ATI B+ if I had to choose one, but since I don't I use those and the UVL SA

I do not currently have the UVL daylight in there.
Lights.jpg

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I went to an LFS where they had two Giesemann Aquablue Plus and two Giesemann Actinic Plus and I really liked the color that it put off, BUT they didn't have any corals underneath them, so it didn't help me a ton.

It was suggestion that I get Blue Plus, Super Actinic, UVL Aquasun, and an Aquablue. I think I'll start there and order two or three extras to try out to see what I like best.

Any of you guys use the ProColor?

Brandon

PS Sorry so late on the reply... I forgot to be notified when there was a reply. :D

zoanthidman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using one UVL Super Actinic and one Guisemann Actinic Plus...the mix of the 420 actinic and the 460nm blue seems to be the best overall look...and I love the look on top of my Phoenix 14Ks

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I went to an LFS where they had two Giesemann Aquablue Plus and two Giesemann Actinic Plus and I really liked the color that it put off, BUT they didn't have any corals underneath them, so it didn't help me a ton.

It was suggestion that I get Blue Plus, Super Actinic, UVL Aquasun, and an Aquablue. I think I'll start there and order two or three extras to try out to see what I like best.

Any of you guys use the ProColor?

Brandon

PS Sorry so late on the reply... I forgot to be notified when there was a reply. :D

Thats the combo I use.. The asquasun is a little red. Procolor and fiji purple are replacement for an aquasun. Allot of people really like the proclor but it is less par than the aquasun.. I wamt to try the fiji purple.

one thing about t-5 give them about a week to judge if you like them.. They can be a little harsh in color at first till they burn in.

I agree get a couple xtra lamps and test them out... ATI are superior lamps to Giesemann but Giesemann are still a top lamp.

Dave

Last edited:
OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thanks for the reply, Dave.

I think I'm probably going to get two blue plusses, super actinic, aquasun, aquablue, and a pro color to try out.

Do you guys have any other suggestions? I thought about trying a GE 6500k just for the heck of it, but I don't know that it would be worth it. I'm ordering two blue+s because a lot of people seem to like them, and I've got a feeling I may as well. :D

Thanks again!

Brandon

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome! Thanks for the reply, Dave.

I think I'm probably going to get two blue plusses, super actinic, aquasun, aquablue, and a pro color to try out.

Do you guys have any other suggestions? I thought about trying a GE 6500k just for the heck of it, but I don't know that it would be worth it. I'm ordering two blue+s because a lot of people seem to like them, and I've got a feeling I may as well. :D

Thanks again!

Brandon

Update?

So what did you end up likeing the most?..

Dave

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooops! My bad... forgot to mention that I won't be able to get any until the end of the year most likely. :)

I will definitely update once I do get them, though.

Brandon

MrPicasso

Chalice Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running 3x actinic blues and one of the new 18k's from Hagen. Love the glow this combination puts together.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back