What DIY Project Are You Most Proud Of?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing pump! @djbetterly designed the board, I did the pumps and enclosure!

IMG_3749.JPG IMG_3751.JPG
That's cool u have a thread?

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DIY Light build. Made from acrylic. Has 4 NanoBox arrays & Bluefish controller.
image.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Ok, super interested in this. What does it take (other than acrylic ;)) to make something like this? I had originally wanted to do something similar, but decided on lumber instead. Mainly because I didn't know what I was getting into, or how to do it, with acrylic.

Pepcrylic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have ALL this and you were only going to show us the sump!? You are now officially on my list of people I want to emulate. Beautiful fish room...
Thank You, This system?fishroom was 3 years in the making. Lots of planning, Lots of research, Lots of plumbing. ect .ect. The hardest DIY part was convincing my wife that I could cut a hole in her living room wall. LOL
I get a great deal of satisfaction on building something that work as well or better than store bought items.
I have to admit it is not your typical run of the mill reeftank. Weather that is good or bad, i am not sure. But it is mine, and there is ME all over it.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You, This system?fishroom was 3 years in the making. Lots of planning, Lots of research, Lots of plumbing. ect .ect. The hardest DIY part was convincing my wife that I could cut a hole in her living room wall. LOL
I get a great deal of satisfaction on building something that work as well or better than store bought items.
I have to admit it is not your typical run of the mill reeftank. Weather that is good or bad, i am not sure. But it is mine, and there is ME all over it.
Ha ha! My wife took some convincing, but she has finally agreed that when we finally settle down in one place I get to do whatever I want with our basement (including cutting holes in walls :)). Hopefully by that time I'll be a little handier on the DIY stuff and will be able to do most of the tank myself.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170129_213542.jpg
20170222_212700.jpg

Stand and sump
Looks good! I can't wait to be able to build my own sump. I'm using the sump from a Reefer 350 right now and I feel SO limited! I'm excited for the day that I can build my sump around what I want it to do. Is there anything you wish you would've done differently?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Marc.The.Shark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, super interested in this. What does it take (other than acrylic ;)) to make something like this? I had originally wanted to do something similar, but decided on lumber instead. Mainly because I didn't know what I was getting into, or how to do it, with acrylic.
Well, I'll tell you, if I had to do it all over again I would just buy a Reefbreeders Photon V2. Alas, those weren't out when I was building this! Lol. My concern was shadowing and I designed this light knowing I would have 3 rock structures. I have the arrays positioned on either side of every rock structure to minimize this & also use a diffuser. I had all the acrylic precut & sent to me from a guy on eBay. I've never worked with Weldon before either, but it wasn't so bad. I had a few scrap pieces laying around that I practiced with. It wasn't cheap tho, I've probably got $600 in the light, but I do have 4 pucks & roughly 32" light & no shadows. This is the fourth light I've built(1st one in 2009) but with the advancements in LED technology, I can probably find what I want now "off the shelf". Plus, no resale value (not that I'm ever going to sell it). Not trying to discourage you, but it took me couple months to get it together & was a fun project & I got exactly what I wanted & how I wanted to mount it.

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'll tell you, if I had to do it all over again I would just buy a Reefbreeders Photon V2. Alas, those weren't out when I was building this! Lol. My concern was shadowing and I designed this light knowing I would have 3 rock structures. I have the arrays positioned on either side of every rock structure to minimize this & also use a diffuser. I had all the acrylic precut & sent to me from a guy on eBay. I've never worked with Weldon before either, but it wasn't so bad. I had a few scrap pieces laying around that I practiced with. It wasn't cheap tho, I've probably got $600 in the light, but I do have 4 pucks & roughly 32" light & no shadows. This is the fourth light I've built(1st one in 2009) but with the advancements in LED technology, I can probably find what I want now "off the shelf". Plus, no resale value (not that I'm ever going to sell it). Not trying to discourage you, but it took me couple months to get it together & was a fun project & I got exactly what I wanted & how I wanted to mount it.
That last sentence is all the encouragement I need! I may have to try this eventually. If I set up another tank (one that isn't an in-wall) I may have to go your route. One of my favorite parts of this hobby is the build. Anything I can do to extend that, I down for.

Thanks for the reply!

Marc.The.Shark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That last sentence is all the encouragement I need! I may have to try this eventually. If I set up another tank (one that isn't an in-wall) I may have to go your route. One of my favorite parts of this hobby is the build. Anything I can do to extend that, I down for.

Thanks for the reply!
Here's more info on my build if you're interested. I, too enjoy the build and it took me a year to get this one completed. I tried to "fix" all the things that I didn't like about my tanks over the years with this setup & it was constantly evolving! Lol
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-build-diy-heavy-new-fts.258826/

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 62 28.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 48 21.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 25 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 76 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back