What do you use for filtration ?

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you go with a sump....... What do you run in it?

System size ? With skimmer ( name/size) Or do you use WC and Lr( amount) ? Combo of all ?

Anyone use algea scrubbers?

Im planning a Breeding/culture room in our basement Not HUGE. But i want to get some projects in the basement and get them running again. And want to get the set up right the first time.

ddwatson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can check out my thread and see what I am running. But basically sump with Eshopps skimmer and live rock. I am thinking about adding a bio tower. I run one on my broodstock setup.

OP
OP
T

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill check it our dd watson

Another thing. I have a UV sterilizer Would running that be beneficial ? Or should i just use it for quarantine and if something would go wrong with a clutch ?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump=45g
CoralifeSuperSkimmer Modified 220
2 250w Heaters
Cheato, Halameda, Caulerpa
Quiet One Return Pump
Nothing else. No Baffles, just egg crate to seperate cheato from return pump.

OP
OP
T

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is your total system size?

I'm thinking of using a rubermaid tub for the sump. cheaper than buying a tank !

Last edited:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a christmas tree storage container from Walmart for mine. Total system size is 285g

ddwatson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My total system size is about 240 gallons. I have a UV that is movable so I can use as needed. It is just in case I get an algae bloom. Don't think it is necessary to run all the time. Just make sure you are QT broodstock well before you add to the system

OP
OP
T

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so how many grow out tanks do i need for lets say 3 breeding pairs ? Ill keep the Uv for water issues. Its a HOB style i can remove at any time.

I like the idea of drilling on the back of the 10's. What size Bulk heads are you using? And I see most are using what looks like A large drain with Inline tee's. Having the tank water drain into them. Is the tank permanently attached or is the drain Just "floating" above the Large pipe? Also is the filter floss just for splash back ?

Thanks

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using 1" Bulk Heads. Inline T's are either water going to different items, such as reactors or its being used to fine to the return water. Overflow lines are generally not tied to the sumps, but rather have a few unions in them also so that you are able to dissassmeble the pipe and such to do maintenance. I don't use floss in mine, but yes, some use socks to catch debre which also keeps the splash down.

ddwatson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so how many grow out tanks do i need for lets say 3 breeding pairs ? Ill keep the Uv for water issues. Its a HOB style i can remove at any time.

I like the idea of drilling on the back of the 10's. What size Bulk heads are you using? And I see most are using what looks like A large drain with Inline tee's. Having the tank water drain into them. Is the tank permanently attached or is the drain Just "floating" above the Large pipe? Also is the filter floss just for splash back ?

Thanks

I would actually advise against the 10's. I have only one mainly because they are difficult to drill and break easily. Stick with 20 and larger if you can. My system is mostly 20"s and 29"s. The socks I believe serve a dual purpose. To get good clutches from the broodstock you must feed often. The socks cut down on splash and remove particles. I have to change them about every 2 weeks because they overflow due to the filtering they have done. The drains are a combo of free floating and fixed. It originally all started out free floating but due to leaks the plumbing coming out of the tanks is glued. Were the overflow pipe goes into the drain it is free floating. It is 1" going into 2. You will want to oversize your drains so it can keep up.

As far as grow out it depends. Are they all the same type? For example. I have two sets of Darwins. I combine these into the same grow out. Obviously if they are different types you cannot combine. You will be surprised how many fish you can get safely in a grow out tank. My grow outs are 39 gallon.

OP
OP
T

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohhh cant wait ! Im going with a room 8 by 7 ft. Its going to have electric heat. I Hope the new room will be insulated enuf that the tanks will keep the steady temp.... Id hate to have to pay a ton in electric ! Or i might have to tie it into the house duct work.....

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 83 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 64 34.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 13.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back