What does the "average" reef tank look like?

What level do you consider your reef?

• New

Votes: 70 17.0%
  • Below Average

Votes: 72 17.5%
  • Average

Votes: 197 47.8%
  • Above Average

Votes: 73 17.7%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We like to look at and drool over these BIG, extravagent reef tanks full of colorful sps, crazy aquascapes and expensive fish. These type reef tanks are not the rule, they are the exception.

So with that in mind what would you say the "average" reef tank looks like? What does it include?

Let me know your thoughts and show us a photo of your reef!

u2648_1435386482.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh and vote!

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filled with common fish like clowns, fire fish, royal gramma etc., algae, and coral. Coral isn't fully grown out yet, and is still filling in. Algae is doing well filling in the gaps. Did I mention algae?

Basically, my tank right now :D

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the average tank has easy to care for fish like clowns and wrasses. You may see some equipment visible and those cement frag plugs everywhere. I really hate those things and break them off before I take the frag out of the bag. I also don't like to see a picture of a tank with a lettuce clip on the front glass.
Here's my tank when I had some leeks on my front glass

Mark Shelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I consider my tank (One year old this week) as average for a new tank but below average as a reef tank. To me an above average reef tank is well established and can keep more SPS and LPS corals (or other mature corals), fish are healthy, and new items are quarantined before adding. An average tank usually has nicer rock landscaping and the equipment is geared to automating the process of keeping the tank clean. It might also be a newer tank without algae problems. A below average tank might have too much rock, too little, or with rock too close to the glass and/or older style or subpar equipment or problem algae or cyanobacteria. Or it might have fish inappropriate for the size of the tank. My rockwork (too much and too close to the walls) and equipment (power trickle filter, HOB protein skimmer, and Canister filter with lower quality lights) is below average, and I think the yellow tang will get too large for this tank. But algae has not been a problem, and in spite of the lower light levels, LPS are growing and reproducing. I know of no fish disease in my tank and my fish get along. But without quarantining, I have lots of hitch hikers. But since this is a learning tank for me, I am happy with it, even the hitchhikers. The equipment limitations are overcome by cleaning more often, replacing filter pads, and weekly water changes (5 gallons a week (I haven't missed a week yet). I also haven't tried any SPS corals and keeping mineral levels consistent is a new concern.
Day 31 Full Tank Shot day.JPG

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all tanks take on a personality similar to their owners. Seriously. I have been threw sps, lps, and now gorgs. This has been me going from super type A personality to chillin' after 3 kids. No heavy stress and my tank can support itself for a long time without me. :) Age, does that to someone. I think it also does it with your tank.

Now, I do have my smaller tanks to keep me on my toes and active. This is where I still experiment a bit and change things up. But, my large display is self sufficient for the most part. I keep it fed and top off done, then regular maintenance on skimmer and such. Nothing big.

I said above average for a vote simply because the animals I keep need extra stuff such as autofeeding of phyto and other goodies, high lighting for clams, and calcium reactor for nutrients. Also, my animals are very toxic and love chemical warfare, so that is a challenge at times. :)

Plus, I love that my tank has not a single frag plug. Hate those things too. Also most of my animals have been with me over 5 years and some close to 12yrs.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All reefs are above average just based on the care and concern we give them. That reef is beautiful. Maybe not your full vision yet, but it will get there.

I know, that is not the point. We want to know what reefs really look rather than these ones that are crystal clear and perfect. I think it is photoshop. :) Mine cannot look that good in pics because I have no idea how to use photoshop or a camera. Heehee

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice discussion!

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2153.JPG

My tank is just over a year old. It is finally starting to fill in. I really need to move more corals off the sand but I'm hunting for the right colors before I place them :)

I'd call it average at this point with aspirations of becoming above average :) I will give myself some credit though that this tank has been nearly algae free since I started it as opposed to my last tanks which were nothing but algae covered rocks.

TomToro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is average, mainly because I gave up trying the hard corals. I know how much work, knowledge and effort that goes into those and am amazed at some of the tanks I see on here sporting hard to keep, unbelievably colorful sps.

I don't dose or do anything short of once a month water changes, skimmer cleaning and glass scraping. Everything is on a monitor or timer or auto top off.

I kick around the idea of an sps exclusive tank in the fishroom, but my wife reminds me why I quit that in the first place.

20160219_215601.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back