What grinds your gears? Most annoying Reefer forum behaviors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll start.

905d65d9f6bdc2b9b03e399ac683cd83.jpg
i see people with absolutely ridiculous expectations about how long equipment like pumps should last railing about "high costs" even when those pumps are cheaper now than ever....

Last edited by a moderator:

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit; Sorry no vender names here :) Also, just google it!!..9/10 it's happened to someone else. We're a lazy bunch these days, I'm just as guilty. On another note, being one of the 4 hobbiest left on the site I find myself with very few people to trade frags with these days.

Last edited:

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that everyone has their own experience and opinions, there isn't just ONE or two ways to fix a problem. Essentially, you can get the same result or answer but in 500 different ways and solutions! VERY ANNOYING and confusing! especially when you've done the research but your still looking for clarification and your new to the hobby! And lastly and sadly that everyone on here contradicts each other which makes it difficult to take action.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guys, please keep feedback out of this thread. Feel free to make general comments, but don't use the names of specific brands and/or individuals. (If you need to leave feedback, start a feedback thread in the appropriate forum.) Thanks!

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a generalized forum pete pev of mine people ho cnt bee bothered to us punctuation speling or gamer

Hurts to read doesn't it???

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm not talking about our fine international friends here on R2R who may not be primary English speakers, I can tell the difference. I just didn't want anyone accusing me of being a xenophobic nationalist. I'm a proud Grammar ****, thank you very much.;)

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People who ask for input and then take it personal when they get it! I always have liked constructive criticism, it's how I grow!;)
Yes! This!

And those that ignore the expert advice, unanimous, or close to it, often. I always think to myself; why ask?

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I know you're asking for $300 in your for sale thread, which is half off what it is retail. Even though it's unopened and still in the sealed box, would you take $25? I can paypal now!"

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People asking the same basic questions that can easily be searched for.
I know there's a huge learning curve, there's always more to learn, and it can be overwhelming sometimes. Plus, every tank is different, and sometimes specific, tank-specific feedback is necessary. And that's fine. But when people are asking the most basic, most easily Googled questions, with no background or contextual info... It gets on my nerves.
I somewhat agree but one of the things that makes us so much better than that “other forum” is that we don’t talk down to people or make them feel dumb even when they do this. Sometimes, admittedly, I think “use the search function”, but then I remember what I did when I was new.

Last edited:

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I somewhat agree but one of the things that makes us so much better than that “other forum” is that we don’t talk down to people or make them feel dumb even when they do this. Sometimes, admittedly, I think “use the search function”, but then I remember what I did as a newb.

It also keeps the forum fresh. If only "new" questions were asked there wouldn't be much activity on here. Really, how many truly NEW questions happen in our hobby in a given year?

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I somewhat agree but one of the things that makes us so much better than that “other forum” is that we don’t talk down to people or make them feel dumb even when they do this. Sometimes, admittedly, I think “use the search function”, but then I remember what I did as a newb.
I agree that this forum is better, but sometimes I wish we really could tell them. It's so frustrating when people will make an all caps thread like "URGENT!!! SALINITY SPIKE!" and it turns out that they haven't been adding top-off water or something. Just not knowing real, basic things that are in any 5-minute "how to saltwater" video.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have more...
People trashing their lfs. People are always complaining about something. Not enough "selection", prices too high, corals too small, workers not friendly enough, not enough service, not carrying every single product, not having an instant free solution to their obscure minor issue. Not enough deals. Etc etc. There's such a lack of respect. Lfs workers are usually hobbyists, too, and everyone starts somewhere.
My goodness this one is frustrating. Do you really expect the employees to worship the ground you walk on when you're just there to buy a $10 fish? Also, this hobby is inherently nerdy, don't get mad at the owner when they're not the most social person on earth or if they don't want to stand around and chat for 45 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back