What happened to my frogspawn?

Cupcakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been battling Dinos and ultimately it was becoming apparent that my corals were becoming quite unhappy. I just did a 72 hour blackout which finished last evening. Now this head of my frogspawn seems to be dead? Of note: the lights just came on for the day so still very retracted.
IMG_4802.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve been battling Dinos and ultimately it was becoming apparent that my corals were becoming quite unhappy. I just did a 72 hour blackout which finished last evening. Now this head of my frogspawn seems to be dead? Of note: the lights just came on for the day so still very retracted.
IMG_4802.jpeg
yhis is heavt recession and may or may not be recoverable. Often this happens when calcium levels are below 380 (you want 400-450), inadequate water flow and insufficient light.
Too much light and they bleach and expel zooxanthellae but too little and they shrivel and shrink. Too much flow and they tear off the skeleton. Too little and they receed.
Also high level of phosphate will stress them in this manner. They should be swaying in the current but not vigorously

trapphd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, yeah — the head is (mostly) dead. The other two don’t look so hot, either, since it looks like a lot of tissue recession and only skeleton showing. But at least they’re extending a bit! Maybe now since your treatment is over, they’ll rebound.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 45.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 46 31.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 21 14.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back