What happened To Nielsen Style Kalkwasser Reactors?

rpgraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am researching methods of Kalkwasser dosing, back in the day (early 90’s) I was dosing using my top off water and float valve which had its issues. I exited the hobby in 1996 and missed the evolution of kalkwasser dosing. Today we have Kalk Stirrers, dosing saturated kalkwasser from a vat and some that are experimenting with Kalk slurry, with plenty of info about each.

What I can’t find any info on are Kalk reactors using pumps (Nielsen reactor) to keep the kalkwasser in suspension. I find very little info other than they existed and I am interested in understanding if they had any advantages over other methods and what their deficiencies or issues where and why we don’t see them today?

Dmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run a Precision Marine Nielsen 6" Kalk reactor that used a maxijet pump. It worked great except every so often I'd have to replace the pump due to wear. I guess just being hard on the pumps is what I'm assuming happened.

I currently run a Kalk stirrer, but just recently started hunting another method. MRC makes some nice Nielsen reactor that I've had my eyes on.

Dmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MRC.PNG

Dmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had issues with the stirrers clumping up in the bottom of the reactor and breaking the motors. This is likely avoided if you take it offline and clean every month, but I don't. I add a scoop of Kalk once a week and let it ride. I will take it off and clean every couple of months.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose I could research but I'm feeling lazy . What are the advantages to kalk stirrers vs dosing saturated kalk? I dose 2 part on my smaller tanks but dose kalk in my 180g. I dose 24/7 as I don't need or even see a pH benifit in the tank using kalk compared to the other tanks getting 2part. I'm dosing 7200ml daily using a brs 50ml minute pump on a timer and just wonder if there might be a better method :thinking-face:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back