What happened to this?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found this article on Reef2Rainforest.

What happened to this? Why has nobody pursued the breeding and sale of these little baby convict tangs? It seems to me that ORA, Bali Aquarich, and Biota would have begun work on making these and other tangs aside from yellows available. Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

What happened to this? Why has nobody pursued the breeding and sale of these little baby convict tangs? It seems to me that ORA, Bali Aquarich, and Biota would have begun work on making these and other tangs aside from yellows available. Thanks!
Personally on baby convicts, I’ve seen them the last 6 months shipping skinny/under nourished and dying for at least 20 people thus far

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are many fish bred that are more or less one and done. As in they are bred but producing them in quantities for sale or such is not done.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many fish bred that are more or less one and done. As in they are bred but producing them in quantities for sale or such is not done.
Yeah, a lot of the time it’s basically a cost benefit analysis that decides if a species is worth culturing. If it’s a popular species that’s easy to culture (like clowns) they breed them. If it’s a difficult species but still popular (like yellow tangs) they might breed them, they might not (yellow tangs are incredibly popular, so they breed them).

Convict tangs are popular, but probably not as popular as yellow tangs, so they might not be worth breeding from a business perspective.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 60 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back