Status
Not open for further replies.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the recent trade war has there been any news or impact of stock coming out of china? Can we expext to pay more, 25% more?
@gcarroll
@Terence
@Ryanbrs

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I love my cheap Chinese equipment but I love my country a whole lot more.. We have been taken advantage of for far to long in international trade and I for one am more than willing to pay the 25% tariffs to hopefully change the current unfair practices in world trade

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I love my cheap Chinese equipment but I love my country a whole lot more.. We have been taken advantage of for far to long in international trade and I for one am more than willing to pay the 25% tariffs to hopefully change the current unfair practices in world trade

I think that would have been a good response back in about 1982....or maybe 1972. I'm not sure what we make here anymore, so we're a little over a barrel.

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the whole point... we make next to nothing here anymore. No one abroad can afford to buy our stuff because our current trade arrangements w other countries make our products out of reach price wise... the majority of the other countries Tax our products (tariffs) coming into their country at unequivetable rates to theirs coming into our nation. It truly is outrageously unfair and is the very reason our manufacturing is so far gone. Well I’m not saying there is not a whole lot of other factors involved, but this is a major part of it. At the end of the day I believe this will be a smart move in the US interests. May cause some flack for awhile, a little saber rattling from around the world, but in the end the US will make better deals on trade that will be fair and could promote some business growth in our manufacturing sector. This President may be a lot of things some people don’t like at all, but one must admit, he does care and is actually doing something that could benefit All Americans if his strategy works. I truly think it will personally. We may get hit w some xtra costs in the short term, but the future benefits could far outway any short term affects. Jmo

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that would have been a good response back in about 1982....or maybe 1972. I'm not sure what we make here anymore, so we're a little over a barrel.

Well I am a Retro Reefer :D

My dad used to say if you want something done do it yourself.. We need to increase US manufacturing across the board it would mean more jobs and greater national security.

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys fail to realize tariffs won’t bring manufacturing back to the US.

The average salary in China is under $5,000, it’s $32,000 in the US.

Manufacturing is incredibly cheap. What the US needs to do is subsidize industries we want to boost. Instead we gave tax cuts financed on debt.

Things are going to really, really hurt when this gets into full swing. I work in probiotic manufacturing

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The In-Shoring trend started after the recent depression. Yes I said In-Shoring meaning Jobs coming back from overseas, at least for the Auto sector. All thanks to Oil prices and things like Takata air bags.The cost to ship was more than the cargo also Quality and liability are concerns and need to be controlled and I see it more and more. The cost to tool a factory to accommodate all markets and that country's regulations then ship to those destinations then add tariffs make that undesirable so now those co's build them locally for that market. FCA went to Guatemala for wire harnesses to take advantage of NAFTA even tho the country is unstable.
FYI..My Auto plant was part of the WWII machine that retooled in under 6 months Due to the Skilled Manufacturing and Skilled trades workforce. That is not possible today this country is loosing those skills and talent. In fact their is a major shortage of skilled tradesman. Our plant alone has about 30 openings that are unfilled and have lowed their requirements for employment....SIX figures anyone?...This all started about 5-6 years ago and the new Tariffs will only bolster that trend if done delicately.....So their lie's the problem.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's just see what actually happens. I think it's instructive that the markets have been quite sanguine over the whole thing. Big difference between what politicians say and what they actually do. Plenty of manufacturing done here in the US, though a lot of it is probably better characterized as 'assembly' using many parts that are sourced overseas. I've been in manufacturing all my life, and I'd be quite happy to see real consequences for many of the patent-stealing foreign companies. I tend to think of these things in terms of 'he who has the most consumers wins'. That's still the US, and is projected to remain so until at least 2025.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A professor once told me we think about today and tomorrow, the Chinese think the next 100 years or in dynasties, quite the contrast from wallstreets the past quarters performance. All this and most or some are complaining about being charged sales tax

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have very recently heard concern over the tariffs affecting the price of equipment in our hobby. The US aquarium equipment industry is vastly dominated by Asian and European companies. The US companies have slowly fallen by the wayside. IMO, the price increase will not stop people from getting into the hobby but it may make people think 25% smaller when planning an aquarium. I personally am not in the industry but I choose to be optimistic in hope that this is just a temporary hick-up and the tariffs will soon be walked back. I am all for bringing more jobs to the US but I don't see this thriving US economy that others claim.

As for harvesting natural resources. I understand that wee need these industries for national security, but it just seems to me that we didn't forget how to do it, we just chose not to at this time. It just seems to make more sense to use other's resources, therefore depleting theirs and saving ours for a rainy day.

I have no expertise in this but just like to look at these situations from all sides.

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I guess only time will tell. I’m rooting for America! I refuse to belie

Manufacturing is incredibly cheap. What the US needs to do is subsidize industries we want to boost. Instead we gave tax cuts financed on debt.

Things are going to really, really hurt when this gets into full swing. I work in probiotic manufacturing
thats a great talking point... I refuse to believe that. Yes we will have a little discomfort, as well will other countries... I’m very confident that this will not become out of control. Remember, this is America! All other countries that trade with us are doing it for very good reason... we are the #1 consumer (Bye Far) in the world. I see using this fact alone will prove to be the deciding factor in each and every country we deal with’s decision to lower their fees of entry just so their manufacturing doesn’t collapse. Btw the “Useless Tax cuts” you speak of, again another angle to promote the resurgence of American Manufacturing. The point is to become more competitive by not absolutely killing the American company with ( Bye Far) the highest corporate tax rate in the world. Even Obama suggested to lower our tax rate drastically. Just didn’t have the gonads to do it, Nor did he have much support on his side for such a “ridiculous notion” as most lefties would claim. More taxes to fix this or that does Not help. It further puts the burden on hard working Americans backs to throw our money at a problem and make even more government waste by just adding government jobs to handle and spend all of our money in some of the most absurd, Wasteful manners. The sheer amount of taxes that a company is forced to pay in is yet another reason our Business’s flee to greener pastures (other countries). It’s about dang time someone actually stood up for our best interests. We as a Nation have picked up and helped numerous other countries to prosperity. That’s a great thing! Isn’t our Country’s well being important too? We can argue all day about who’s right or wrong about any subject. Only time will tell who is rt in this very topic. Subsidize the industries we like you say? Again. Another leftie solution to not fix anything. Perpetuate the huge problem of government dependencey. No thanks. Those are the same ideas that got us in this position in the first place. A company should be able to thrive on its own, not thru subsidies. There would be no reason to have to do that if we didn’t drive the companies out in the first place by taxing them into submission. So ur answer would basically be we as a nation should accept that we lost all these manufacturing jobs and not change anything. Just throw subsidies at companies some may or may not champion in efforts to keep them afloat, while other companies that are no big deal to your life can just continue to be absolutely battered by enormous amount of taxes. Hmmm. Doesn’t seem so smart. Whereas a large corporate tax cut give all industry a well needed break and let them decide how to better their company w their money the way they find fit. That to me makes a whole lot more sense . Sometimes I feel like I’m taking crazy pills when I hear the opposing argument. Sorry, just happens to be

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all need to support Growth and development but at what cost? those tax breaks are what paid for roads and Infrastructure, with out that YOU an ME pay for it in higher gas, sales, local and state tax. Mich has some of the worst roads and Infrastructure because of all the incentives and breaks now its all catching up.
Its not just cheap labor, its environmental costs. We have some of the strictest regulations and will not allow a manufacture using a processes that harms people or the environment. Not long ago Air bag sensors were made in mexico because the process or chems used were illegal in the US. Not even going to start with child and slave labor or hazardous working conditions. This is why its cheaper over seas or south of the boarder

Hammer100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I guess only time will tell. I’m rooting for America! I refuse to belie

thats a great talking point... I refuse to believe that. Yes we will have a little discomfort, as well will other countries... I’m very confident that this will not become out of control. Remember, this is America! All other countries that trade with us are doing it for very good reason... we are the #1 consumer (Bye Far) in the world. I see using this fact alone will prove to be the deciding factor in each and every country we deal with’s decision to lower their fees of entry just so their manufacturing doesn’t collapse. Btw the “Useless Tax cuts” you speak of, again another angle to promote the resurgence of American Manufacturing. The point is to become more competitive by not absolutely killing the American company with ( Bye Far) the highest corporate tax rate in the world. Even Obama suggested to lower our tax rate drastically. Just didn’t have the gonads to do it, Nor did he have much support on his side for such a “ridiculous notion” as most lefties would claim. More taxes to fix this or that does Not help. It further puts the burden on hard working Americans backs to throw our money at a problem and make even more government waste by just adding government jobs to handle and spend all of our money in some of the most absurd, Wasteful manners. The sheer amount of taxes that a company is forced to pay in is yet another reason our Business’s flee to greener pastures (other countries). It’s about dang time someone actually stood up for our best interests. We as a Nation have picked up and helped numerous other countries to prosperity. That’s a great thing! Isn’t our Country’s well being important too? We can argue all day about who’s right or wrong about any subject. Only time will tell who is rt in this very topic. Subsidize the industries we like you say? Again. Another leftie solution to not fix anything. Perpetuate the huge problem of government dependencey. No thanks. Those are the same ideas that got us in this position in the first place. A company should be able to thrive on its own, not thru subsidies. There would be no reason to have to do that if we didn’t drive the companies out in the first place by taxing them into submission. So ur answer would basically be we as a nation should accept that we lost all these manufacturing jobs and not change anything. Just throw subsidies at companies some may or may not champion in efforts to keep them afloat, while other companies that are no big deal to your life can just continue to be absolutely battered by enormous amount of taxes. Hmmm. Doesn’t seem so smart. Whereas a large corporate tax cut give all industry a well needed break and let them decide how to better their company w their money the way they find fit. That to me makes a whole lot more sense . Sometimes I feel like I’m taking crazy pills when I hear the opposing argument. Sorry, just happens to be

I find it funny that someone would poo poo 'leftie' policy but be all about tariffs. Which is 'leftie' as it gets and another type of subsidy that is paid for by the consumer instead of the government.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a good bit of traveling for work, sometimes I get time to go out and shop and look. I see in a lot of country's display Made In the USA but the price is usually 3 to 4 times higher than a different brand. Personally I think all tariffs everywhere should be lifted. But most country's would hate that, tariffs are extra money coming in for them. As soon as other country's get rid of their tariffs the US will to

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a good bit of traveling for work, sometimes I get time to go out and shop and look. I see in a lot of country's display Made In the USA but the price is usually 3 to 4 times higher than a different brand.
Good point, during the last trade talks they let US produce rot on the docks (random inspections). If one is bad the whole create gets trashed, so we tucked tail and backed off.

wishntoboutside

Snow flake
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may not affect current hobbyist but could affect all of those looking to get in the hobby or upgrade. lets face it. This is an expensive hobby and not everyone can afford it all. To me it is just hard to imagine a prduct like an MP40 for example be $350 on day and the next day it is $437. that number is a 25% increase. At what point when corals increase even more does one just say that this glass box is not even worth it even more and leaves the hobby because of it.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need to keep things in perspective. If we cut the corporate tax rate, I can assure you the government is going to find another place to make up that shortfall. Is it fair to criticize the high corporate tax rate when we are unwillingto make up that government revenue shortfall?
I find it funny that someone would poo poo 'leftie' policy but be all about tariffs. Which is 'leftie' as it gets and another type of subsidy that is paid for by the consumer instead of the government.
Wow! Talk about looking at it from the other side!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Japan and EU just agree about a free trade pact. It create a free trade zone for 600 000 000 of people and a third of the worlds BNP. Almost all tariffs will be taken away with start 2019. Just as an information of what happens in the rest of the world

Sincerely Lasse

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Japan and EU just agree about a free trade pact. It create a free trade zone for 600 000 000 of people and a third of the worlds BNP. Almost all tariffs will be taken away with start 2019. Just as an information of what happens in the rest of the world

Sincerely Lasse
So we start a trade war and everyone else negotiates to trade freely without including us in those talks... How dare they!

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back