What is a bullet proof eel food

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new snowflake eel off a tank breakdown and I have tried raw uncooked shrimp whole and cut up and no interest. Now I do know that he may just not be ready yet, but if there is one food that you feed your eel that it can’t resist what is it so I can try it on mine. Thanks in advance.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine loves the Rod's Predator mix (frozen) Has a variety, goes wild. Loves it all, even the nori that's mixed in.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine loves the Rod's Predator mix (frozen) Has a variety, goes wild. Loves it all, even the nori that's mixed in.
Is it a big eel? I’ve heard that they have bad eye sight and have to get spot fed bigger pieces. Wasn’t aware you can feed them the finer pieces, or does the predator mix consist of bigger chunks

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a big eel? I’ve heard that they have bad eye sight and have to get spot fed bigger pieces. Wasn’t aware you can feed them the finer pieces, or does the predator mix consist of bigger chunks
Ive had her since a wee little pencil sized thing. She's now a chonky 18" long big girl. The food is bigger chunks, and one frozen solid piece, so I take strong meat scissors and cut 1" chunks off to defrost in a small cut of tank water. I then feed with long feeding tongs. She'll rip apart anything big that i can hold onto.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes you can feed them smaller pieces. My eels come out like clockwork every 2 or 3 days for food and I just have to waive the food around them and they will smell it

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the food.
IMG_20240502_163424162.jpg
IMG_20240502_163429236.jpg
The smaller piece is the size I break or cut off, and I feed a couple of those. Every few days or when I see her more active and hunting around.
IMG_20240502_163444175_HDR.jpg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the food.
IMG_20240502_163424162.jpg
IMG_20240502_163429236.jpg
The smaller piece is the size I break or cut off, and I feed a couple of those. Every few days or when I see her more active and hunting around.
IMG_20240502_163444175_HDR.jpg
Yes thats a good one too, mine rip into that stuff lol

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is them hunting them swimming around? I notice mine does at night once the lights are off
It's common for eels to be active swimming around at night, but that doesn't typically mean that they are hungry or will eat, he might just be stressed since he just got out of a tank in which he may have been kept for quite some time, wait about a month and if he still doesn't seem to eat try general cure since most eels come in with internal worms and the previous owner not quarantining this eel may have been the cause, as for food, mainly use shell on shrimp and only feed shrimp sparingly since they are high on thiaminase, i don't have a snowflake, but since it's a pebble tooth and so is my zebra moray, my zebra loves crabs (make sure to only feed it meat or the softer parts of the shell like inside the abdomen of the crab) squid also works wonders so will mussels and clams.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's common for eels to be active swimming around at night, but that doesn't typically mean that they are hungry or will eat, he might just be stressed since he just got out of a tank in which he may have been kept for quite some time, wait about a month and if he still doesn't seem to eat try general cure since most eels come in with internal worms and the previous owner not quarantining this eel may have been the cause, as for food, mainly use shell on shrimp and only feed shrimp sparingly since they are high on thiaminase, i don't have a snowflake, but since it's a pebble tooth and so is my zebra moray, my zebra loves crabs (make sure to only feed it meat or the softer parts of the shell like inside the abdomen of the crab) squid also works wonders so will mussels and clams.
For the squid, mussels, clams, and crab where did you get this? Grocery store human safe food? or from a fish website?

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the squid, mussels, clams, and crab where did you get this? Grocery store human safe food? or from a fish website?
I have a nearby Asian food market which sells only human grade food, avoid different types of food where preservatives are used which can harm your eel/fish

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed, Asian food marts are my go to fish food store …
BTW, is there a species of fish that can pass up raw shrimp?
The constitution of vitamins and minerals are different for each kind of fish and invertebrates so i believe that you can't really "replace" a food source which can be considered valuable food source in the wild, though shrimp may have its downfall mainly due to its thiaminase content, they are also considered to be a source of calcium with its head and shell on aswell as being one of the higher sources of protein like squid, a unique combination of all types of food is what I consider to be the best you can give to your fish which can infact outcompete even most food brands and pellets, but to answer your question in terms of giving your fish fat which is also essential I recommend mackerel and salmon

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The constitution of vitamins and minerals are different for each kind of fish and invertebrates so i believe that you can't really "replace" a food source which can be considered valuable food source in the wild, though shrimp may have its downfall mainly due to its thiaminase content, they are also considered to be a source of calcium with its head and shell on aswell as being one of the higher sources of protein like squid, a unique combination of all types of food is what I consider to be the best you can give to your fish which can infact outcompete even most food brands and pellets
Good stuff, related is the thing where a predator indirectly receives the nutritional benefits from a plant because the herbivores eat it. z

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back