What is a good affordable RO/ID unit?

Sethdarkus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the market for a good ROID Unit that Dose not cost a Arm and s leg preferably around $100-$150 Dollars or less. Water changes will probably be around 7 gallons a week, I’m on well water so my PSI is kinda low. I see chewy has one but I’m skeptical

BigT75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look I know BRS has great stuff as well as marine Depot and few other companies, I was in same position and wanted a cheaper option I got a FOUNTAIN HEAD WATER SYSTEMS 6 STAGE dual DI off eBay for $140 shipped with all the filters , even brs replacements fit perfectly its runs flawless 150pd system the gives me 0 TDS for what I got for 140 was well worth it
7ad616a9f7316386594e27b682a2883e.jpg

This is temp location don’t mind the tube mess lol

reeferKen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This video helped me on which ro/di removes chloramines while I was shopping

OP
OP
Sethdarkus

Sethdarkus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This video helped me on which ro/di removes chloramines while I was shopping

I don’t have chloramines in my tap water what i do have is tap water within safe parameters for very sensitive freshwater shrimp so I presume I don’t need a very strong RO/DI system at this time plus I don’t get much PSI as is due to being on a well so I feel that limits me. Actually using distilled water which I test and has zero TDS the only con is large body of water higher cost

Journeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ro buddy. They're $60 for the 50g per day model and $78 for the 100g per day model. Just make sure if your water has chloramine then it'll will deplete your di resin really fast, which I think accounts for the reviews you might see that say the cartridges require frequent changing.

If that's the case, add a $30 chloramine filter canister from brs and it works like a champ. This is my setup and I've made hundreds of gallons and my di is barely changing color.

(I went through all my di the first month before I thought of the chloramine and checked my city's water report. After I added the brs filter, it's been perfect.)

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be fine with a 4 stage, it's what I use for my well water. You'll need a booster pump and it's a good idea to get one with a pressure gauge, auto shut off, and a dual tds meter. You're going to be well over $150 for all you need

slowngreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might get some hate but I run Pure Water Club units. Usually get about 9-10 months before I have any higher than 0 tds, then I just order a new one. I'm on well water with about 150tds to start with so that might make a big difference.

Journeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw you have no tds. I like the $50 to buddy then. It's small 4 stage and portable if you want that. I keep mine in a 5 gallon bucket and hook it to the sink as needed. Put it away in the garage when done.

Journeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw you have no tds. I like the $50 to buddy then. It's small 4 stage and portable if you want that. I keep mine in a 5 gallon bucket and hook it to the sink as needed. Put it away in the garage when done.
I mean you have no chloramine...

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with any of the above systems aside from the RO Buddy. Any system that forces you to purchase filters from only one company is a terrible idea. All of the systems above have filters that can be swapped out with any other filter from any other company. If you don't like one, you can try a different one. Personally I run a Dual membrane 3 Stage DI spectrapure setup with BRS resin. Works like a dream but was a tad on the pricey side.

Do not purchase a booster pump until you 100% know you need one. Could be a complete and total waste of money if you have decent PSI from the tap(50+). Definately purchase a PSI meter and that will let you know if you actually need one.

Journeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with any of the above systems aside from the RO Buddy. Any system that forces you to purchase filters from only one company is a terrible idea. All of the systems above have filters that can be swapped out with any other filter from any other company. If you don't like one, you can try a different one. Personally I run a Dual membrane 3 Stage DI spectrapure setup with BRS resin. Works like a dream but was a tad on the pricey side.

Do not purchase a booster pump until you 100% know you need one. Could be a complete and total waste of money if you have decent PSI from the tap(50+). Definately purchase a PSI meter and that will let you know if you actually need one.
I used 3rd party replacement filters with my ro buddy.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 3rd party replacement filters with my ro buddy.

Interesting I didn't realize the sediment and carbon filters were interchangeable with other companies.

So they take the standard 10" carbon blocks and sediment filters?

Journeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only had to change the ro filter so far, but it was just a standard 10 inch. ( I have to double check the size, but I think 10 inch is right...). Anyway, just a regular 3rd party filter from Amazon. 0 tds.

Journeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only had to change the ro filter so far, but it was just a standard 10 inch. ( I have to double check the size, but I think 10 inch is right...). Anyway, just a regular 3rd party filter from Amazon. 0 tds.
The other canister are the same size, so I would think they are the same, but I haven't had to change the carbon block or sediment yet.

Di canister just unscrews and I refilled it with 3rd party resin. Make sure to tighten by hand as the plastic can crack if you over tighten. All me how I know...

If you over tighten and crack the lid, some jb weld can patch it. Ask me to I know...

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other canister are the same size, so I would think they are the same, but I haven't had to change the carbon block or sediment yet.

Di canister just unscrews and I refilled it with 3rd party resin. Make sure to tighten by hand as the plastic can crack if you over tighten. All me how I know...

If you over tighten and crack the lid, some jb weld can patch it. Ask me to I know...

I did know the RO membrane would fit a standard size but the sediment and carbon blocks both look like they can only be replaced with cartridges from Aquatic life,similar to there RO twist filters.

Journeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, you're right. I just got home and checked. The sediment and carbon blocks are smaller. But only cost between 7-9 dollars for replacements, so it didn't affect my purchase decision. Didn't mean to mislead. The RO membrane is standard size and the di resin can be replaced 3rd party. The carbon block and sediment are from aquatic life.

Although, the hose lines between the cartridges are standard, so it's really easy to swap them out for a full size if you felt the need. The BRS chloromine canister was really easy to add on and it was a full size canister, making it 5 stage.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, you're right. I just got home and checked. The sediment and carbon blocks are smaller. But only cost between 7-9 dollars for replacements, so it didn't affect my purchase decision. Didn't mean to mislead. The RO membrane is standard size and the di resin can be replaced 3rd party. The carbon block and sediment are from aquatic life.

Although, the hose lines between the cartridges are standard, so it's really easy to swap them out for a full size if you felt the need. The BRS chloromine canister was really easy to add on and it was a full size canister, making it 5 stage.

Definately easy to add or replace stages regardless, I did that with my system as well. I'm curious as to what the approximate gallon rating is on the carbon blocks they offer. $7 is reasonable but it's only $10-12 for the full size ones and I feel they might process considerably more. Sorry I'm not trying to pick apart the Buddy just curious and getting some answers from someone who actually owns one is beneficial.:)

Journeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definately easy to add or replace stages regardless, I did that with my system as well. I'm curious as to what the approximate gallon rating is on the carbon blocks they offer. $7 is reasonable but it's only $10-12 for the full size ones and I feel they might process considerably more. Sorry I'm not trying to pick apart the Buddy just curious and getting some answers from someone who actually owns one is beneficial.:)
1500 gallons for the carbon block per their manual. The sediment filter doesn't give a gallon rating, just said to change when the flow drops.

I make about 10-15 gallons every 2 weeks, so it will last me a while.

Journeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1500 gallons for the carbon block per their manual. The sediment filter doesn't give a gallon rating, just said to change when the flow drops.

I make about 10-15 gallons every 2 weeks, so it will last me a while.
No worries. I researched all the same concerns before I bought. I just like the small footprint because I don't have a good spot to permanently mount it.

This has an outdoor faucet fitting and a sink faucet adapter, so I can either attach it to my bathroom sink to fill my ato or take it to my outdoor faucet if I'm making more water for a water change.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back