What is it?

Can you identify?

• Total voters

SrTxsRoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had aquariums in the past but have never had a reef tank and I am just starting out. I purchased some live rock that I thought had some adhesive from an old frag. It looked like silicone. Well it has now grown and looks kinda like cotton. Does anyone know what this is or if it is unsafe for my tank?

20160808_155804.jpg

Seadragon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can tell about it is eww looks like mold but obiously cant be

reeftanker17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had aquariums in the past but have never had a reef tank and I am just starting out. I purchased some live rock that I thought had some adhesive from an old frag. It looked like silicone. Well it has now grown and looks kinda like cotton. Does anyone know what this is or if it is unsafe for my tank?

20160808_155804.jpg
I want to get a sea slug for the tank... they say they eat sponge but once it's gone I'm not sure if it would stay alive

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get a sea slug for the tank... they say they eat sponge but once it's gone I'm not sure if it would stay alive
Slugs eat different things. Dont tell anyone ;)but I let my little bit of bryopsys grow into a small forest just so I could get a lettuce nudibranch.(actually a slug)
Just research what the one you want eats!

reeftanker17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slugs eat different things. Dont tell anyone ;)but I let my little bit of bryopsys grow into a small forest just so I could get a lettuce nudibranch.(actually a slug)
Just research what the one you want eats!
Haha thanks yeah the lettuce one is awesome but I saw a purple sea slug with yellow tips that looked amazing
fe07b09835e5af260dd388d8aa8a6fc5.jpg
b49df85a8f6a097712f2c60302164b05.jpg

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard that once the lettuce dies....it can royally screw up your tank. True?
Fighting the bryopsis battle...

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard that once the lettuce dies....it can royally screw up your tank. True?
Fighting the bryopsis battle...
Not sure how bad or at all. I know a turbo snail will.

reeftanker17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that your lettuce? Do you have bryo?
Sorry hah I should of said the lettuce pic is from my lfs and they had the purple ...which is the one I want but it's a Google image, cause I couldn't find the lfs pic..... but I am Def intrested in it if anyone has any suggestions..... and forgive the ignorance but what is bryo?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry hah I should of said the lettuce pic is from my lfs and they had the purple ...which is the one I want but it's a Google image, cause I couldn't find the lfs pic..... but I am Def intrested in it if anyone has any suggestions..... and forgive the ignorance but what is bryo?
Bryopsis algae. From all Ive been reading it is a known food source for the lettuce nudi. So if you want one you need to have bryo to keep it alive.
Irony is folks freak out at having bryo in the tank and is considered a major pest algae to be burned with fire.

Im not familiar with the other nudi, but you should look for exactly what it eats before considering one. My friend Chris At Vets Pets here in San Diego has been great about hitchhikers sponges bergias hitchhikers etc and such and would never let me buy one from him($9) as it would starve. Odd creatures need odd food so its important to know.
SO now that I have a cultivated bryo forest going Im gettin a nudi!

reeftanker17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis algae. From all Ive been reading it is a known food source for the lettuce nudi. So if you want one you need to have bryo to keep it alive.
Irony is folks freak out at having bryo in the tank and is considered a major pest algae to be burned with fire.

Im not familiar with the other nudi, but you should look for exactly what it eats before considering one. My friend Chris At Vets Pets here in San Diego has been great about hitchhikers sponges bergias hitchhikers etc and such and would never let me buy one from him($9) as it would starve. Odd creatures need odd food so its important to know.
SO now that I have a cultivated bryo forest going Im gettin a nudi!
Keep me updated and congrats man!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 60 34.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back