What is killing my frags? It is hard like barnacles.

jvbear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is killing my frags? It is hard like barnacles. I dipped the corals in Revive and tried peroxide. I did water change, but these white dots keep multiplying and my mixed reef is dying. Is this barnacles? I don't know what to do. It is in my 100g tanks with fish and invertebrates. I have both sps and lps. What is it and what should I do? Will it harm my fish?

IMG_1475.jpeg IMG_1476.jpeg IMG_1477.jpeg IMG_1479.jpeg IMG_1481.jpeg IMG_1474.jpeg IMG_1469.jpeg IMG_1470.jpeg IMG_1457.jpeg IMG_1458.jpeg IMG_1489.jpeg

OP
OP
jvbear

jvbear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spiorbid worms. Those aren’t killing your corals. Probably something off in water parameters. How olds the tank?
Tank is a year old. I sent water sample off a few months ago to ICP and they said only thing low was magnesium. I added some but haven't tested with them since. I took a water sample to the local fish store today and they said nitrates were a little high, but that is all. I did a water change this afternoon. What else can I do?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures kind of look like the tank needs better lighting to keep corals growing?

(Agree- Spirorbids are not the source of the problem.)

OP
OP
jvbear

jvbear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to post a video but it says file is too large. Here are pics. I removed the overflow and sump and replaced with FX4 and FX2 canisters and HOB skimmer.

Attachments

• IMG_1496.jpeg
    IMG_1496.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1495.jpeg
    IMG_1495.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 73

Tomb85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to post a video but it says file is too large. Here are pics. I removed the overflow and sump and replaced with FX4 and FX2 canisters and HOB skimmer.
Could you do a list of your light setting cycle? So we can see what they are running at? I also notice your lights are on a separate cycle aswell.

OP
OP
jvbear

jvbear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you do a list of your light setting cycle? So we can see what they are running at? I also notice your lights are on a separate cycle aswell.
They were off. I manually turned them on for the picture. I need to call Kessil for help with the cycle in the app. I am currently using a Kasa plug for timer I had with a previous light. Can you show me what a good cycle should look like?

OP
OP
jvbear

jvbear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it set for 6 hrs per day and manually change light from blue to white at different times. I just haven't taken time to figure out the app. I will make this a priority.

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean to pile on, but I would add a few things...
- Check the actual PAR. Visually you won't be able to tell, you'll need to rent a PAR meter.
- Flow can be tricky. For the euphyllia, I would go with an area of almost no flow to figure out what's going on.
- The current value of many parameters is good to know, but alk and pH you need a trend. Going from 9 to 10 or 11 is enough to kill many coral and they're all "safe" numbers. These require a pH probe and either Trident (Apex), iv (hydros), or some other method like an alkatronic or mastertronic.
- Temperature is a big player. What are you using to check Temperature? Has it been calibrated? My ink bird was off by 5 degrees when I bought it and I couldn't figure out what was wrong until I got a calibrated temp sensor.

Hopefully this helps you dig in. I know it's a lot but remember that coral are sensitive animals where anything shifting in their environment can cause problems.

OP
OP
jvbear

jvbear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Hygger heater it has a display of temperature and fluctuates between 79-80°. I also have a floating thermometer. I had another larger fan but my anemone got stuck in it a couple of times so I turned it off. He survived and was not injured bad. I tried the foam cover but it wouldn't stay on.
Until you figure it out I would do a large water change and just to be safe throw some activated charcoal in the sump.
Will charcoal kill my copapods and phyto they eat?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In my experience, people do that the other way around; they go from canister filter to sump and not sump to canister filter.

Understand that canister filters are nitrate factories. They require frequent maintenance.

I started with two canister filters; one on the system and a second as a backup. While one works, I disassembled, cleaned and prepared the other for the next swap.

Lots of work, so, I switched to a sump.

Yes, a complete set of water parameters along with a full tank picture (I understand they are worth a thousand words).

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Hygger heater it has a display of temperature and fluctuates between 79-80°. I also have a floating thermometer. I had another larger fan but my anemone got stuck in it a couple of times so I turned it off. He survived and was not injured bad. I tried the foam cover but it wouldn't stay on.

Will charcoal kill my copapods and phyto they eat?
No, I run my tank with it 24/7 and have pods and dose phyto.

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a vermetid snail on one of the frags, that could be stressing them out

OP
OP
jvbear

jvbear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this feather a barnacle? Watch til end you will see it retract. I also started seeing this tiny white starfish on the glass.

Attachments

• IMG_1621.mov
    50 MB
  • IMG_1614.jpeg
    IMG_1614.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1621.mov
    30.2 MB

Tomb85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were off. I manually turned them on for the picture. I need to call Kessil for help with the cycle in the app. I am currently using a Kasa plug for timer I had with a previous light. Can you show me what a good cycle should look like?
I don't have kessil lights but I'm sure you could ask in a separate post for kessil setup as I'm sure I've seen it on here in the past.

Tomb85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this feather a barnacle? Watch til end you will see it retract. I also started seeing this tiny white starfish on the glass.
Vermitted snails are a pain try to remove everyone one by one as I has them in the pass and they do stress corals by little stringy snot they send out to catch food. I ended up resetting my tank because they got so bad yrs back. The star fish I'm sure you can get a wrasse that eats them or hermit crabs. The star fish can turn into a pest also try to remove them where you can aswell.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What intensity are you running your lights at? Those Kessil AP9x are really strong at 100%. Figuring out the app isn’t too hard. I run mine at 10” off the surface at max 50%. I also have acrylic lids so it’s probably more in the 45% range.
I have to keep euphyllia low and on the edges and acros, Monti and stylophoras high on top.

IMG_1046.jpeg

OP
OP
jvbear

jvbear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What intensity are you running your lights at? Those Kessil AP9x are really strong at 100%. Figuring out the app isn’t too hard. I run mine at 10” off the surface at max 50%. I also have acrylic lids so it’s probably more in the 45% range.
I have to keep euphyllia low and on the edges and acros, Monti and stylophoras high on top.

IMG_1046.jpeg

Thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 120 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back