What is my clownfish doing ? Anemone weird behavior

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone explain to me clownfish behavior when they want to host an anemone ? What does it look like and how can I tell . The bta I have is small and healthy this morning is was 75% closed which it does from time to time . My clown which has never been near it has started to stare at it for a long time a dip his head into it lots . Sort of looks like he is biting it . What is he doing ? And I’d this the reason it is closed up ? Will he eat it ?

6F748463-213C-49F9-B046-ADD83889880F.png

EAEAE92B-BFD2-475E-B632-90273041E017.png

ABFDCE40-8FA6-419C-A12F-A6D37075B65B.jpeg

B17EAB81-BB4C-42A1-BC70-6B91577C6C23.jpeg

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's likely tasting the nem... It's believed that this may help some clownfish build tolerance to the nem's sting prior to hosting...

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's likely tasting the nem... It's believed that this may help some clownfish build tolerance to the nem's sting prior to hosting...
Yes he appeared to be doing just that , I thought he was eating it for a minute , also he was picking food out of it as there were a few peices that made their way into the anemone after I fed the fish . So this is all good then !

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes he appeared to be doing just that , I thought he was eating it for a minute , also he was picking food out of it as there were a few peices that made their way into the anemone after I fed the fish . So this is all good then !
All good and normal... so high probability that you are on your way to hosting.

Clowns are funny (no pun intended). Some will host straight away while others won't or go through the taste test. I had one that started to host... then decided that it preferred the side wall of my tank by the powerhead instead. Every time I get my hands near the wall, it would attack me to get me away but wouldn't care anywhere else my hands were.

Just wait until you see the hierarhy dance the first time... literally gave me a heart attack. The submissive one lies on it's side motionless at the bottom...

OP
OP
Snake132

Snake132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good and normal... so high probability that you are on your way to hosting.

Clowns are funny (no pun intended). Some will host straight away while others won't or go through the taste test. I had one that started to host... then decided that it preferred the side wall of my tank by the powerhead instead. Every time I get my hands near the wall, it would attack me to get me away but wouldn't care anywhere else my hands were.

Just wait until you see the hierarhy dance the first time... literally gave me a heart attack. The submissive one lies on it's side motionless at the bottom...
Haha they certainly are .
Mine use to sleep at the top of the waterline by my hang on filter
he scared me multiple times when I would check on the tank at night . I thought he was dead a few times but once I figured it out I thought it was the most interesting thing ever . Once I poked him to see if he was ok and to my relief he was fine . Who knew fish actually slept .... very interesting . Also that is funny I bet he loves you though it’s his instinct I guess to defend . Mine from the beginning has been so docile he loves everything in the tank and has never really shown any territorialness. I guess that’s just his nature . Anyway happy fishkeeping

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back