WHAT IS THAT???

Stin999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be concerned lol - What is this creature in my rocks?

Attachments

• IMG_3571.mov
    7.8 MB

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 9.08.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 9.08.58 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 38

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be concerned lol - What is this creature in my rocks?
That's a female Bonelliid Spoon Worm/Echiuran - most spoon worms are harmless detritivores (good CUC), but a few (likely including yours) have a toxin (Bonellin) on their proboscis (the forked "mouth" mentioned above) and/or skin; these eat things like small pods that succumb to the toxin when crawling on/over the proboscis.

These would probably be fine to keep in the tank as long as you think your critters are smart enough not to touch the proboscis, but it may carry some risk (especially for smaller critters, and especially if your female has one or more males - which are tiny - living with it so that it could reproduce):
be aware that it is toxic (the toxin is called Bonellin, and I’m not sure about it’s effects on people), and please handle it with care and a good pair of gloves.
If you decide to keep it, I'd probably suggest running carbon and doing regular water changes to be safe.

OP
OP
S

Stin999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a female Bonelliid Spoon Worm/Echiuran - most spoon worms are harmless detritivores (good CUC), but a few (likely including yours) have a toxin (Bonellin) on their proboscis (the forked "mouth" mentioned above) and/or skin; these eat things like small pods that succumb to the toxin when crawling on/over the proboscis.

These would probably be fine to keep in the tank as long as you think your critters are smart enough not to touch the proboscis, but it may carry some risk (especially for smaller critters, and especially if your female has one or more males - which are tiny - living with it so that it could reproduce):

If you decide to keep it, I'd probably suggest running carbon and doing regular water changes to be safe.
Interesting!

How can you tell that it might be a female?

Any clue if the toxin is powerful enough to hurt a fish?

I'm okay with the risk to small inverts, but I wouldn't want the loss of a fish.

This particular rock has been in the tank for over a month and a half - no casualties as of yet.

Thanks - Austin

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you tell that it might be a female?

Any clue if the toxin is powerful enough to hurt a fish?
Bonelliid spoon worms exhibit extreme sexual dimorphism - the females are large while the males are extremely tiny and often/always live literally inside the female. So, by seeing the worm's regular-sized proboscis extended, you can tell it's female (no idea if it has a male with it or not though).

Unfortunately no idea how harmful the toxin is - as a general rule, the physically greener the worm, the more toxic I would expect it to be, but I don't know how much of the toxin it would take to harm a small fish.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 164 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back