What is the half life of hydrogen peroxide?

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did a booboo, but the title states it all.

what is the half life of hydrogen peroxide upon introduction to an aquarium roughly?

i am assuming it is quick but i wanted your view.

thanks

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't call it a half life....it's not radioactive.

It is an oxidizer, similar to bleach, and is "consumed" upon oxidizing whatever is there. I've got to believe, unless you dumped a bunch into the tank, it is quickly consumed with all the goodies that are in our tanks.

How big is the tank and how much did you dump?

I'd prepare extra water and run carbon.

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't call it a half life....it's not radioactive.

It is an oxidizer, similar to bleach, and is "consumed" upon oxidizing whatever is there. I've got to believe, unless you dumped a bunch into the tank, it is quickly consumed with all the goodies that are in our tanks.

How big is the tank and how much did you dump?
300 gallons
250 ml

half life can be used for more than radioactive material.

it is also used for pharmaceuticals

and yes. i handed dinoflagellates their BEEP in 45 minutes. lol

new carbon is in the system. water changes are not in the forecast.

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be just fine.....if I'm not mistaken, the hair algae treatment is a quart to every 500 gallons....and that's store bought hydrogen peroxide....3-6 percent.

And yes, pharmaceuticals have a "half life" when consumed....how long it takes to clear the body. But other then radioactive compounds, chemical reactions are not termed "half life."

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be just fine.....if I'm not mistaken, the hair algae treatment is a quart to every 500 gallons....and that's store bought hydrogen peroxide....3-6 percent.

And yes, pharmaceuticals have a "half life" when consumed....how long it takes to clear the body. But other then radioactive compounds, chemical reactions are not termed "half life."

yeah i just ticked off a ton of coral. mostly duncans and zoas with my mindlessness. i know it doesnt last long, but wanted to know if the effects last longer than 48 hours.

i put in new carbon, and aeration is in progress.
corals were real healthy before i dropped the h202 bomb.
just dont want a linger of some sort driving down their "quality of life" so to speak.

on a positive note:
i will confirm...hydrogen peroxide will kill dinos

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did a booboo, but the title states it all.

what is the half life of hydrogen peroxide upon introduction to an aquarium roughly?

i am assuming it is quick but i wanted your view.

thanks

The half life in seawater is several days:

http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2014/mpo-dfo/Fs97-6-3080-eng.pdf

from it:

Preliminary work in the laboratory with Interox® Paramove™ 50 in raw seawater has shown the half-life of 1200 mg·L -1 H2O2 to be 28 days at 10°C. Degradation studies in the laboratory were performed under static conditions with raw seawater at 10°C and a range of concentrations of H2O2 from 300 mg·L-1 to 1800 mg·L -1 . The calculated half-life of H2O2 ranged from 8 to 19 days. The calculated half-life of 1200 mg·L-1 H2O2 was inconsistent with the preliminary calculated half-life (14 days versus 28 days). The influence of biotic communities and organic matter on the degradation of H2O2 in the Interox Paramove™50 formulation was investigated using filtered (0.2 µm) raw seawater at 10°C and a range of concentrations of H2O2 from 300 to 1800 mg·L-1 . Degradation of H2O2 was not dependent on concentration. The calculated half-life of H2O2 ranged from 1 to 4 days indicating a faster rate of H2O2 degradation in filtered seawater than in raw seawater. These results indicate that degradation of H2O2 in Interox Paramove™50 was slowed down by the presence of biotic communities and/ or organic matter in raw seawater.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Russ why did you use peroxide in that amount?
It does take several days
i wasnt thinking. everyone has this ml per 10 gallons and i mindlessly upped it like everything else. lol

call it a brain fart.

guess ill be the guinea pig.

i will say this. dinos are done.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool notes based on overdose threads for peroxide we've collected a good 20 examples of these mass dumps, thought id chime it in based on what the nano-reef.com and the rc threads show regarding overdoses:

-ive seen as high as 5-7 ml per 10 gallons of water used 1x off with no effect last past two days (they were closed mad for a couple, then reopened) on all corals save for stylophora or light browning of sps, but not death or rtn etc. the lps across the board are incredibly tolerant, for some reason unknown. Id expect zero lysmata cleaners to survive that dose they got.

- we have not seen an overdose of peroxide, even a giant amount of 35% stinger into a 180 tank, recycle the tank and effectively out any bacteria. We've never recorded even a mini cycle from the largest overdose I can recall.

-I purposely put 35% brand new soln on my zoanthids to try and kill them off, emersed treatment soaking in 35% solution that blanched their rock white but left zos intact. I dont think you can kill zos w peroxide at all. coenenchyme too dang thick, imo. sure there are one off reports online of peroxide zapping some zoas, and then their pics show not interconnected colonial short profile mats (healthy zos) but rather singly, stalked and skinny unattached zos that imo were on their starving no current way out anyway

:)

I think save for a few hitchhikers your corals w be ok. I certainly want to add this thread link here to our running files out on the web about your small overdose outcome, I bet s ok

is there any way you'd post a full tank shot before we get the outcome to test some predictions?

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol Russ I have been studying this now for several weeks.
It is promising for a lot of issues but I have noticed it sticks around. Well for days.
I have done 2-10Ml doses in my tank for bryopsis. I have one prized coral that is acting negatively to it.
In my 2.5 gallon tank (where I do my chemical studies ) it has wiped out brown flatworm. 6Ml dose.
Zoanthids do not like it!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G

that's really great to see I'm happy you posted that
about 13 min in his peroxide review was full tilt

I think they are all on a timer lol that's excellent oration rate.

stayed for the rest and K dosing was neat to hear about

OP
OP
Russ265

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting post. lot of what this guy is saying is what i have observed. just hoping corals can ride the ride for a few days.

Kaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using it to battle back some hair algae and some really tough and short red algae. Going about 0.5ml per gallon...every day for 2 weeks or so. Sometimes going as high as 0.75 per gallon. Using a syringe to put it right onto the algae...which is on some frag plugs. And directly on a jedi mind trick monti frag which is right next to some PC rainbow, aqua delight, strawberry shortcake, green slimer, blue milli, and cali tort...and no one cared.
The most I've ever done in a tank was 3ml per gallon. Some things weren't thrilled but didn't lose anything.

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red-fish is absolutely right, The half life of H2O2 in sea-water is entirely dependent on the organic content of the water. It can last a very long time in extremely clean water and will dissassociate in a very short time if the organics are high. In the typical reef tank, with a great deal of organics it will be gone in very short order.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back