What is the most effective way to lower salinity?

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know add fresh water. I am trying to find out how to lower my salinity the most I can without damaging any corals. I know 2 gallons of fw will drop my salinity 0.001.
Any suggestions?

My tank is about 65 gal total.

I would like to drop my salinity 0.003 if I could but I don't want to shock anything.

I have 3 salinity tests and I performed each and got these results:

So obviously something is wrong, I guess I should invest in a higher quality salinity test. I am going to go with close the center number and I am going to assume the salinity is 1.029-1.030, which is a risk, I know.

1 weeks vacation and this happens, just lucky I guess..hahah

TIA

mnat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a refractometer that has been calibrated? That would be the only number I trusted. You can figure you salinity mathmatically and drop it over the course of a day or two, won't shock the tank at all

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can drop the salinity faster than you can raise it. In a QT situation, dropping to HypoSalinity can be done much quicker than raising the fish back to normal. I don't think you'll see a big issue with dropping it .003 the first day.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally do a water change and add back the water that will help drop, or raise, to what I need. So you could simply pull out a gallon of salt water and add back a gallon of RODI. Wait a bit and do it again until you get the result you are looking for. I'd add it to somewhere high flow so it mixes well on the way back in.

Last edited:

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 :kiss:

I generally do a water change and add back the water that will help drop, or raise, to what I need. So you could simply pull out a gallon of salt water and add back a gallon of RODI. What a bit and do it again until you get the result you are looking for. I'd add it to somewhere high flow so it mixes well on the way back in.

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick replies, I was not sure if that was ok, to change it that much instantly.

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could do that^, I don't have an ATO though.

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could do that^, I don't have an ATO though.
Strongly suggest you get one, especially if your skimmer needs to be kept at a constant water level to function properly. Next to my dosing pumps, my ATO has been the most important piece of equipment I've purchased in this hobby.

I have 3 salinity tests and I performed each and got these results:

So obviously something is wrong, I guess I should invest in a higher quality salinity test.
How are you testing you salinity?

BigJohnWoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really need to get a refractometer. Second, think about acclimating new additions to your tank. I think this can be done realitively quickly. Just take some water out and add some RO/DI back in. Do it throughout the day, over the course of the day and you will be fine. Things in our tanks are much hardier than people give them credit for. First just make sure you have a accurate way of measuring salinity and go from there. GL

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you buy a refractormeter calibrate it with calibration fluid and not distilled or r/o di water. Also buy one made for saline (brine) solution.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No refractometer and no ATO with all those nice chalices you have? Sell some frags, get some equipment!

CJ

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 83 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back