What is the most peaceful and pretty damsel fish?

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not when it comes to damsels lol

Stereotypes, whether damsels, humans, turtles, monkeys etc, Are just that. Usually based on prejudice, ignorance or hate. If you are willing to accept stereotypes for a fish.. What others might you accept? Again, I call it a dangerous assumption and use of a term.

With that said, I have a very docile Domino damsel, unless in the presence of other damsels. He is afraid of a pair of clowns half his size and freaks when having to compete for food with a Mollie Miller blennie. He is a chicken overall.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, it’s not really up for debate they are a very aggressive territorial fish. Can they work in tanks yes and there’s ways to introduce them that helps. Might you regret putting them in the tank? Plenty of evidence on this forum to support that outcome.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's ridiculous, everything is up for debate. Just because you've had an experience, or I have, doesn't make our observation an absolute. Why do we have science then? After all the earth is flat, that was not up for debate for centuries.

Fishtheatre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen some pretty, dead damsels but alive they seem to thrive on terror. ‍ I have three blue green chromis that tend to mind their own business and look shiny and marvelous.

i’ve also seen a peaceful yellowtail damsel. I think they have a somewhat mixed rep but the one I knew was a cool fish.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This assertion that all fish of a certain species are evil is as absurd as saying that all people of a certain race are something. Any animal can be both good, bad or anything in between depending on their environment. Just look at pit bulls. Regurgitating false absolutes about this hobby is not helpful to anyone.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was cruising You Tube earlier and saw a vid from a Mark Callahan on Saltwater.com. He's never been a damsel fan but he said Rolland's damsel are the only ones he likes in his tank. Ive been researching another fish for my tank and this might be candidate.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lyretail damsel.jpg

I've got 3 of these in a 150. they occasionally "play tag" with each other but no damage done. they don't bother any of their tank mates.

Fishtheatre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This assertion that all fish of a certain species are evil is as absurd as saying that all people of a certain race are something. Any animal can be both good, bad or anything in between depending on their environment. Just look at pit bulls. Regurgitating false absolutes about this hobby is not helpful to anyone.

I don’t think people are asserting that they are evil per se but they do have a reputation as pugnacious and quarrelsome just like african cichlids but like you say, i’m sure there are plenty of decent damsels out there. It’s just if you’re willing to take the chance. A lot of people have been burned by damsels hence the reputation. There are clear cut examples of animals you don’t want to be around, not evil, just being what they are, a predator, parasite or whatnot.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stereotypes, whether damsels, humans, turtles, monkeys etc, Are just that. Usually based on prejudice, ignorance or hate. If you are willing to accept stereotypes for a fish.. What others might you accept? Again, I call it a dangerous assumption and use of a term.

With that said, I have a very docile Domino damsel, unless in the presence of other damsels. He is afraid of a pair of clowns half his size and freaks when having to compete for food with a Mollie Miller blennie. He is a chicken overall.
Damsels are the devil

Zuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My springer is totally peaceful in my 100 gallon mixed reef, also have a school of 9 green chromis that behave; the tangs in the tank are the biggest bullies.

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, it’s not really up for debate they are a very aggressive territorial fish. Can they work in tanks yes and there’s ways to introduce them that helps. Might you regret putting them in the tank? Plenty of evidence on this forum to support that outcome.
I thought this thread as about damsels not tangs- Oh sorry you are still talking about damsels, but just reading your statement brought to mind the Powder blue and Sohol tang I had. I guess you need to be careful of stereotyping a whole family of fish because of individuals. LOL

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

“...prejudice, ignorance, or hate.”?
Literal nonsense

The author of this article explains much better than I could hope to

and I’ll not debate that topic further.

@tripdad
“This assertion that all fish of a certain species are evil is as absurd as saying that all people of a certain race are something.”

I, obviously, can’t speak for others, but I don’t remotely assert that ALL Damsels are evil; I’m confident there are plenty of exceptions.
I only give my limited experience with the ones I have (which is anything but good) so that the OP is aware of the risk involved in adding them... wait, there is an OP, right?

Poor guy, I fear we lost him in the fire storm.

Last edited:

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evil? Fish aren't evil, or good, or sweet or bad. They're fish.

Species of fish have developed certain characteristics in response to environmental pressures that allowed them to be successful and out compete less successful adaptations.

Some of these species characteristics make them excellent aquarium pets, some less so. Some are "reef safe", same are not.

Selecting a fish in the hopes that an individual fish does not exhibit species characteristics is not going to be a successful hobbyist strategy.

Damsel fish as a group are known for being hardy and high rates of survivability. They are also known to be territorial and aggressive. Not all damsel species exhibit these traits in the same way or with the same intensity.

A few damsels species have been mentioned in this post that have more favorable characteristics to the OP. That's not the same as a few individual fish of an known aggressive species being acceptable to their owners and those two should not be confused.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a thread about damsels, not what a stereotype is. Or if a stereotype is good or bad. Let’s keep this on track with the damsel topic. If you want to stereotype, who cares! No need to criticize other members because they are stereotyping. No need to assume they have no experience with multiple specimens. Cmon, let’s keep this on track, civil, and respectful :)

Fishtheatre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The day I see a damsel walk my trochus across hermit crab alley is the day I call it good and request an addendum to aquarium fish compendiums everywhere!

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we can all agree that damsels have a bad rap. There’s many other fish such as angel fish, Marion clowns, sixline wrasses etc that quite a few people have issues with. Majority of maroon clowns end up very territorial. same thing for damsels, Most of them are aggressive. just because you have a peaceful one in your tank, doesn’t mean everyone else has had the same experience. I see it as a 50/50 as for any fish in the hobby. It will either be a perfect citizen or it will not be.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.7%
Back