what is the "perfect" tank for Zoas?

Xavier

Mantis Club President
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know this is a debated question but i was wondering in your opinon ur "perfect tank" would be for all zoas i mean:
salinity
ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
pH
calcium
alk/hardness
iodine levels(is it possible???)

my tank set up consists of a skimmerless tank with 35pounds of live rock,3(soon to be 4)fish,umm a cleaner crew(can go into more detail if needed), im setting up a refugium for pods and such(i have a scooter blenny),a seio 820 and a maxi-jet 600(I NEED MORE FLOW DESPERATLY!!!!!),a pretty deep sand bed(this might change as im adding my fuge cause its unsightly and i dont need it if i have"miracle-mud" in the fuge correct me if im wrong!) i feed a mysis cube daily but once in a while ill feed 2(if there hungry) and i also feed brine when i feel like it(about once a week)

let me know if i should change something

thanks xavier

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the sand bed is established, I wouldn't mess with it too much. Stirring the top is cool for feeding stuff like goniporas, but the whole sale scooping of it might hurt your tank by releasing chemical build up into the water.. especially if it is a DSB with a oxygen debt. JMHO

Perfect Tank:
salinity 1.025
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0-10, depending on if you house clams, etc
pH 8.35, if you could keep it stable
calcium 425
alk/hardness 8 or so
lights: MH supplemented with either VHO or T-5
Moderate flow
No nudis!!!

:D
Laurie

OP
OP
Xavier

Xavier

Mantis Club President
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 250 watt 20k double ended halide, the tank is somewhat new about 3 months old and the sand is almost a month old so would it be bad to move it now?

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
move what? your tank?

i'm not sure what you mean by "bad". you may prolong the cycle, or have a spike of amonia or nitrates after moving it if you stir up the sand bed.

what are the demensions of your tank?

just based on the amount of live rock you said you had, 3-4 fish this early is pushing it. and IMO is a bit too fast. but i like to do things slow (hasnt failed me yet as i've never had a tank crash or any levels out of whack)

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say a month old is established. Are you going bare bottom, or just reducing the depth of the sand?

BTW, you can test iodine, and it is possible to hjave it reach toxic levels (The same way adding to much Lugols to a dip is harmful and not necessarily beneficial). The level people keep has been variable that I have seen it person, and it usually is a bit higher than normal depeneding on the iodine export abilities of what is kept in the tank- ie, xenia, etc..

:D
Laurie

OP
OP
Xavier

Xavier

Mantis Club President
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya i meant the sand bed i mean its pretty deep now so i just wated it at about 1-2 inches but not how it is now and i am getting rid of a fish but i might replace it with another so i dont know if that helps;) also the scooter cant add much to the boiload but the clown makes up for that and the fuge will be set up soon enough

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 160 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 55 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back