What is the single best purchase you have made in Reefing?

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best purchase, Tunze Stream bought in 2004. The pump has run almost non stop with very few cleanings. I was hesitant over the initial purchase price, however it has paid for itself with longevity.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where did you get that power bar
You should be able to find it if you do an Amazon search for "ADJ Products PC-100A AC Power Strip". I have different models, but use several full switched power strips and I agree that it makes a difference.

kin_itsu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my tunze 9001 skimmer.It is small and efficiency.Do a solid jod in my tank.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't be in this hobby without a few of these, different sizes.

OU812Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a refractometer and to dial in my tank I purchased some BRS Refracto-Juice calibration fluid. Calibrated it and it was way off. It would read 1.025 but was actually 1.020. Calibrated it, increased salinity slowly and thought I was done.

Well, I needed to verify some temperatures anyways in order to dial in my heater controllers, so I went to my LFS and purchased the Hanna Salinity Checker which also reads temps. I checked my tank salinity with the Hanna and guess what? The salinity was STILL only at 1.020! I calibrated the Hanna twice with the cal fluid and verified it! After cal it read the calibration fluid at 35 ppt. Spot on.

So, lesson learned, I cannot trust those refractometers.

The Hannah Salinity checker is the single best purchase I have ever made in Reefing, hands down.

What is your best purchase?

Since dialing in my salinity, my corals have never looked better.
IMG_3126.jpeg IMG_3125.jpeg
My Hanna checker spot on

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a refractometer and to dial in my tank I purchased some BRS Refracto-Juice calibration fluid. Calibrated it and it was way off. It would read 1.025 but was actually 1.020. Calibrated it, increased salinity slowly and thought I was done.

Well, I needed to verify some temperatures anyways in order to dial in my heater controllers, so I went to my LFS and purchased the Hanna Salinity Checker which also reads temps. I checked my tank salinity with the Hanna and guess what? The salinity was STILL only at 1.020! I calibrated the Hanna twice with the cal fluid and verified it! After cal it read the calibration fluid at 35 ppt. Spot on.

So, lesson learned, I cannot trust those refractometers.

The Hannah Salinity checker is the single best purchase I have ever made in Reefing, hands down.

What is your best purchase?

Since dialing in my salinity, my corals have never looked better.
IMG_3126.jpeg IMG_3125.jpeg
My 7-stage RODI machine.

I ended up getting the Hannah Salinity checker as well and it's made life so much easier. I also got the Milwaukee MA877 and Hannahs pH checker but haven't had a chance to try them.

A close second is I have the entire Hannah digital testing set and I think that's been a solid purchase. I hated having to eyeball colors and being unsure about a parameter.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
307231.jpg

Why?

My tank is only 50g, I work inconsistent hours of the day, I currently have low demand, my goniopora which was on the brink of death is doing much better and showing new growth, and it's easy. Nothing against 2 part or other solutions.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this might be a bit unorthodox, but an electric power washer. It cleans literally any and all of my tank components (Filter socks, Skimmer, Circulation pumps...etc), without any acids, chemicals or elbow grease.....and its quick! I can clean all 4 of my vortechs, and have them back in the tank in less than 20 minutes.

1645710441300.png

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 70.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back