what is thing on my tank

mark vincent muriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theres a white substance sticking on my tank...
71d43eeb512e2fe1fa9d80505df622cf.jpg

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd leave it alone and let it finish the cycling process. "Redoing" will only set you back. Are doing a fishless cycle or do you have fish in already?

OP
OP
mark vincent muriel

mark vincent muriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd leave it alone and let it finish the cycling process. "Redoing" will only set you back. Are doing a fishless cycle or do you have fish in already?

i have one hermit crab i feed it with dried algae i dont want to add fish my tank is really smol

OP
OP
mark vincent muriel

mark vincent muriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you mix the salt directly in the tank?

Not a good idea to have critters in a week young system.

at first yeah but then i notice that the salt didnt mixed my tank is fairly small so i reset it and this time i premixed it on the bucket all the salt dissolved when i put it on my tank

OP
OP
mark vincent muriel

mark vincent muriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Especially inverts!

i added it already what do i do with it do i just mercy kill them...? then buy another one when my tank is established or just leave them there..? they seem to do fine they’ve been there for 3 days now

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have test kits? Keep testing for ammonia daily or twice a day and do water changes very often. If ammonia gets high (.25 +) get some prime or safe to detoxify the ammonia. Dont mercy kill something cuz they may not make it. We just have to do everything we can to get them through it.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i added it already what do i do with it do i just mercy kill them...? then buy another one when my tank is established or just leave them there..? they seem to do fine they’ve been there for 3 days now
With it being such a small tank, as you say, it won't be hard to do water changes to keep it in check. This will make the cycle process take much longer and I guess the other choice would be to return them (crab and urchin) to the LFS and get them or others back once the cycle is done.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more solution would be if you had a friend or someone that has an established tank you could see if they could give you some filter sponge or other biomedia and that would jump start your tank and be able to process the ammonia. Just place the established media in your filter and keep testing for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Once you start seeing nitrate in your tests you will know the bacteria have colonized and are processing the ammonia.

OP
OP
mark vincent muriel

mark vincent muriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With it being such a small tank, as you say, it won't be hard to do water changes to keep it in check. This will make the cycle process take much longer and I guess the other choice would be to return them (crab and urchin) to the LFS and get them or others back once the cycle is done.

mmm i dont think petco will allow me to do that lol

OP
OP
mark vincent muriel

mark vincent muriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: i just had a bacterial bloom from over feeding but it cleared on its own and i scrape the thing i mentioned off it looks like a really fine sand or calcium...?? my urchin seems to be eating it is that alright!! also can i feed my sea urchin a shrimp that we cook from the kitchen

OP
OP
mark vincent muriel

mark vincent muriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: i didnt put them back or mercy kill them i still have them and doing fine though i have question is 0.50 anmonia bad..? and how am i even have ammonia i dont even have fish..

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 171 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back