What is this algae and how do I get rid of it?

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff is green and my scraper won't remove it. I can get in by hand with a razor blade and usually remove it, but it sometimes leaves behind a nasty white on the tank glass.

It's gotten bad enough that I'm tempted to remove some of my macro algae and run vibrant for a bit. Yeah, it's that bad.

I am running some PhosGuard as my phosphates got really high (out of range from my Hannah checker).

IMG_20230729_181149501.jpg IMG_20230729_181158438_HDR.jpg IMG_20230729_181206327_HDR.jpg IMG_20230729_181220472.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty much normal algae growth on glass. Some people need to scrape it every few days - others not for a week or more (really depends on individual systems). My advice is to get a scraper with a stainless steel blade - something like a Tunze, etc. It makes cleaning the glass a breeze.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't put vibrant in your tank. There are millions of reasons not to. And to be honest, probably not a single reason to put it in there.

That's film algea, it's not a terrible thing. Leave it there. Get yourself a scraper on a long handle. Scrape it off a couple times a week, let the fish eat it. Let the skimmer skim it and know that's it's a bit more nutrients export that you had.

I let it grow in one tank quite a bit. My pods love it also. I have pods so big my clown picks them off the glass. It's because of that algae that she can graze all day in a 14g AIO.

Don't be afraid of a little algea. It's food, nutrient export, and even habitat for microscopic goodies.

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't put vibrant in your tank. There are millions of reasons not to. And to be honest, probably not a single reason to put it in there.

That's film algea, it's not a terrible thing. Leave it there. Get yourself a scraper on a long handle. Scrape it off a couple times a week, let the fish eat it. Let the skimmer skim it and know that's it's a bit more nutrients export that you had.

I let it grow in one tank quite a bit. My pods love it also. I have pods so big my clown picks them off the glass. It's because of that algae that she can graze all day in a 14g AIO.

Don't be afraid of a little algea. It's food, nutrient export, and even habitat for microscopic goodies.

I'm more worried that it's taking over. The back and both sides are covered in the stuff. The only thing outcompeting it on the back is the GSP I have growing there. I'll see if I can find a scraper. The main issue is moving the dang light fixture. This is under a large ventilation duct and I have no way to suspend it from the ceiling.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Its film algae from either white intensity of your lights or even tank being at or near a window. Not abnormal as its unsightly. generally a magnetic or algae removes it easily for it to come right back
Are you using RODI water or tap water from faucet?
What is your phosphate level?
Is tank at or near a window?

Afew snails will help with control such as Astrea, cerith and nerite snails

OP
OP
kdx7214

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its film algae from either white intensity of your lights or even tank being at or near a window. Not abnormal as its unsightly. generally a magnetic or algae removes it easily for it to come right back
Are you using RODI water or tap water from faucet?
What is your phosphate level?
Is tank at or near a window?

Afew snails will help with control such as Astrea, cerith and nerite snails

The tank is in the basement and nowhere near a window. I use RO/DI water for everything. I've got a magnet scraper and it's worked very well for almost 2 years now, but it won't remove this stuff. I've ordered an extendible scraper that uses razor blades and will try that when it arrives.

Phosphates were off the scale on my Hannah checker, so I put some PhosGuard in. Last test it was 0.09 so I think that's covered.

Lighting is six T5 bulbs about 10" off the water. It's an even mix of coral plus and coral blue.

I have some snails in there, but the hermit crabs have really devastated the population. Plus, the turbo grazers don't touch the white stuff.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm more worried that it's taking over. The back and both sides are covered in the stuff. The only thing outcompeting it on the back is the GSP I have growing there. I'll see if I can find a scraper. The main issue is moving the dang light fixture. This is under a large ventilation duct and I have no way to suspend it from the ceiling.
Leave it be and control your nutrients.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The tank is in the basement and nowhere near a window. I use RO/DI water for everything. I've got a magnet scraper and it's worked very well for almost 2 years now, but it won't remove this stuff. I've ordered an extendible scraper that uses razor blades and will try that when it arrives.

Phosphates were off the scale on my Hannah checker, so I put some PhosGuard in. Last test it was 0.09 so I think that's covered.

Lighting is six T5 bulbs about 10" off the water. It's an even mix of coral plus and coral blue.

I have some snails in there, but the hermit crabs have really devastated the population. Plus, the turbo grazers don't touch the white stuff.
Edge of an old credit card should shave it right off

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 45.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 14.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back