What is this algae and how to get rid of it?

NLarg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

The algae (I think) in the picture below is growing, it is ugly and I don't know what it is. It's forming like "bubbles" on the live rock. On the sand, it is like hair.

Please, could you guys give me any advice to how to get rid of it?

BIOCUBE 13 gal
"Day light" is on only 3 hours a day, then is the "blue light"
2 clown fish only
I just started like 3 months ago.

TIA

Capture.JPG

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the uglies, and this looks like Cyano, I would start with manual removal, while it (probably, no guarantees) will go away on its own, really ugly, just vacuum it up, and let it go away.

OP
OP
N

NLarg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the uglies, and this looks like Cyano, I would start with manual removal, while it (probably, no guarantees) will go away on its own, really ugly, just vacuum it up, and let it go away.
Thank you. Any chemical product to help?

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
give it about a month to go away, and then consider something else, a more natural removal, as chemicals are, well chemicals and can cause other problems.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Any chemical product to help?
First of all it's your tank and you can do as you please. Just because your tank is new doesn't mean it has to go threw what people have coined for every algae and bacteria phase as " the ugly stage". There's plenty of established systems that get cyano its part of the hobby sometimes and has nothing to do with the age of your tank. If your happy with your #s and simply tiered of looking at it you can buy chemiclean and be done with it. It's not diatom and will not just go away on its own as suggested above. But yes to answer your QUESTION there is a treatment that has been out for years and if used correctly will have no adverse effects on you tanks inhabitants.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is your tank, and yes you can use chemiclean, it is totally safe to use, the only reason that I didn’t suggest it was some people say that it will reduce some good bacteria. Now, I have no idea if that is true and I can not verify these claims, but your tank is new and probably has lower levels of bacteria I didn’t want to be the cause of any problems that could arise.

OP
OP
N

NLarg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all it's your tank and you can do as you please. Just because your tank is new doesn't mean it has to go threw what people have coined for every algae and bacteria phase as " the ugly stage". There's plenty of established systems that get cyano its part of the hobby sometimes and has nothing to do with the age of your tank. If your happy with your #s and simply tiered of looking at it you can buy chemiclean and be done with it. It's not diatom and will not just go away on its own as suggested above. But yes to answer your QUESTION there is a treatment that has been out for years and if used correctly will have no adverse effects on you tanks inhabitants.
Thank you for the explanation! As a beginner, I just want to learn and be better along the way. I will give it a try.

OP
OP
N

NLarg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is your tank, and yes you can use chemiclean, it is totally safe to use, the only reason that I didn’t suggest it was some people say that it will reduce some good bacteria. Now, I have no idea if that is true and I can not verify these claims, but your tank is new and probably has lower levels of bacteria I didn’t want to be the cause of any problems that could arise.
Thank you. Make sense.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is cyano which is a bacteria you can use a good bacteria like brightwells microbactor 7 to out compete it . It’s very important when you have cyano is to not let your phosphates and nitrates zero out .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back