What is this algae taking over my tank?

O-fish-al

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got these algae in my 32-gallon tank that I can't seem to get rid of, see the photos below. I tried the hydrogen peroxide test where I took some of the algae out of the tank and tested it in a water/peroxide mix. It bubbled which supposedly means it is cyanobacteria not dinoflagellates. The snails and hermits do not eat it. I brushed all of the rocks, vacuumed the sand, and done multiple water changes. I've dosed it once with chemi-clean to no avail. Any idea of what it is or how to fix it? I'm thinking of maybe dosing again and/or doing a 3 day black out.
20180126_132129.jpg
20180126_132132.jpg

Last edited:

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look like cyano to me. More like green hair algae or something similar.
Have you tested your nitrates and phosphates? How old is the tank?

OP
OP
O

O-fish-al

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look like cyano to me. More like green hair algae or something similar.
Have you tested your nitrates and phosphates? How old is the tank?
Nitrates and phosphates are zero. We use API test kits and aren't sure about the accuracy of them... Our tank finished cycling about 2 months ago.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case you have to assume its over feeding causing excess nutrients. (assuming the rocks are not leaching something)

If you feed fake or pellet foods its really easy to over feed as they are nutrient dense, especially in a smaller tank.

Solution: Manually remove what you can, 10% weekly water changes, feed less, enlarge CUC (not sure what yours consists of atm)

I also agree its probably Green Hair Algae

Edit: the Nitrates and Phosphates are probably zero because the GHA is taking it in so rapidly.

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just add a few more snails and let the tank clear up on its own. That's normal for a new tank with dry rock. Lots of trapped organics that leach out for some time. Just keep with the regular water changes and see how it goes. Try to limit your feeding.

OP
OP
O

O-fish-al

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case you have to assume its over feeding causing excess nutrients. (assuming the rocks are not leaching something)

If you feed fake or pellet foods its really easy to over feed as they are nutrient dense, especially in a smaller tank.

Solution: Manually remove what you can, 10% weekly water changes, feed less, enlarge CUC (not sure what yours consists of atm)

I also agree its probably Green Hair Algae

Edit: the Nitrates and Phosphates are probably zero because the GHA is taking it in so rapidly.
Maybe that's it. I try to rotate between frozen shrimp and flake food. I do always feed my pistol shrimp 2 pellets because they sink down to his hidy holes.

S.O.MLemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one turbo snail while clean that up in a hurry(make sure things are glued or at least very sturdy because they can be bulldozers)manually brush off what you can with a toothbrush also.

On a side note last year I tried a Biocube and used that black sand and had the worst green hair algae outbreak continuously but I kinda blame it on the crappy lighting and not being able to get it below 80 degrees because of that lighting.

OP
OP
O

O-fish-al

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one turbo snail while clean that up in a hurry(make sure things are glued or at least very sturdy because they can be bulldozers)manually brush off what you can with a toothbrush also.

On a side note last year I tried a Biocube and used that black sand and had the worst green hair algae outbreak continuously but I kinda blame it on the crappy lighting and not being able to get it below 80 degrees because of that lighting.
Good to know! My SO is working on a new lighting system for it to help our corals out. We havent had temp. issues. Its been holding steady at 78 F. We had a turbo snail when we first started and he didnt have enough to eat. Maybe now would be the time to get another!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back