What is this? ID help please

Unique

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponge? Doesn't really mind being exposed to air. Feels like a leather coral to the touch. Growth shape similar to a pagoda. Growth rate extremely slow. Any ideas?

_DSC0409.jpg

_DSC0410.jpg

_DSC0415.jpg

IMG_8572.jpg

IMG_8573.jpg

OP
OP
Unique

Unique

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rubbery is exactly how I would describe it! So it is a sponge? It encrusts but overall "colony" is shaped like a pagoda cup or a monti cap. It is pretty hardy but in the year or so we've had it, we haven't seen it grow that much if any. First quick glance makes one think of a sponge but closer look, it lacks those porous "pockets" often seen on sponges. Also, when we tried propagating a small piece w/ surgical scissors, it felt very "fleshy" and rubbery.

Last edited:

fishnreef

100% Aquacultured - Help Us Conserve and Preserve
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with the black sponge. It can cover the bottom of rocks and creep up towards corals...at the expense of corals. I've seen it grow and claim a corner of a tank. The issue is that removal needs to be done carefully so this doesn't spread all over through inadvertant fragging or (and I would just be playing safe) that the sponge does not release toxins when cut. It is also more hardy and dense than the regular sponges.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back