What is this in my fuge?

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up moving my Caulerpa prolifera to the middle section of my Fuge about a month ago. It was growing great (under 24hr red/blue light) but all of a sudden I've gotten this yellow/red slime covering everything.
fuge.jpg

It grows back almost instantly and I am worried it will kill the rest of the Caulerpa. The only change I made recently was to introduce some PhosGaurd to the first chamber as I was registering too much in the system.

Any ideas what this is and how to deal with it?

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up moving my Caulerpa prolifera to the middle section of my Fuge about a month ago. It was growing great (under 24hr red/blue light) but all of a sudden I've gotten this yellow/red slime covering everything.
fuge.jpg

It grows back almost instantly and I am worried it will kill the rest of the Caulerpa. The only change I made recently was to introduce some PhosGaurd to the first chamber as I was registering too much in the system.

Any ideas what this is and how to deal with it?
I reckon it's cyano. I got it in my fuge too just not that bad. Not enough flow and a lot of light, perfect for cyano.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWackyWiz

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reckon it's cyano. I got it in my fuge too just not that bad. Not enough flow and a lot of light, perfect for cyano.
I think you are totally right. Kind of sticky situation since I need to keep the photo period high to keep the Caulerpa from going sexual but maybe I can get away with doing a black out for a couple days just to get ahead and then starting with a shorter photo period and water changes until I get it under control?

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are totally right. Kind of sticky situation since I need to keep the photo period high to keep the Caulerpa from going sexual but maybe I can get away with doing a black out for a couple days just to get ahead and then starting with a shorter photo period and water changes until I get it under control?
Increase the flow ...

Upvote 0

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 90 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 71 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 32 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back