What is this on my angle fish

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my flame angle recently developed a white scar on his top fin I’ve had the fish for 6 months and a few days or so he just got this
I have not added any new in the time this developed my best guess is an emerald crab attacked it in the night also the fish is still eating and swimming normally
The scar shows all the way to the fin bone and it turned transparent
Any idea what it might be and if I can let the fish heal on its own as I can only take it out if it is a must due to the rock work thanks in advance

776F9CBE-3EFA-441B-BF17-9E45366D43A3.jpeg C1D003A8-FC73-4C6B-9618-3365FC6D9F50.jpeg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
almost looks like something munched it just enough to de-glove the top fin? My guess is trauma of some kind, but guess it could be some kind of fin rot?

Think Jay is the injury and illness expert so I'll @ him

@Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems to be a severe bacterial infection, (fin rot) possibly resulting from an injury. I don't think the emerald crab did this, do you have any other fish in the tank?

See how the fin rays are still there, but the fin structure itself is gone, and the erosion seems to be invading the body of the fish? That seems pretty serious. If the bacteria continues to invade healthy tissue, the fish is going to have problems.

Do you have a treatment tank that you can use to treat this fish with antibiotics?

Jay

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems to be a severe bacterial infection, (fin rot) possibly resulting from an injury. I don't think the emerald crab did this, do you have any other fish in the tank?

See how the fin rays are still there, but the fin structure itself is gone, and the erosion seems to be invading the body of the fish? That seems pretty serious. If the bacteria continues to invade healthy tissue, the fish is going to have problems.

Do you have a treatment tank that you can use to treat this fish with antibiotics?

Jay
I have a bunch of fish but all peaceful except tangs

and I don’t have a tank to quarantine the angle fish the best I can do is a 5 gallon bucket for a few hours before the temp of the bucket drops( I don’t have a heater for the bucket )

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I agree with a severe bacterial and skin erosion issue mentioned by Jay.
Treatment will be in a quarantine tank using Seachem Kanaplex which is a broad spectrum antibiotic. Monitor ammonia level while in QT with a reliable test kit and increase oxygen with addition of air stone.
Is fish eating despite condition ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a bunch of fish but all peaceful except tangs

and I don’t have a tank to quarantine the angle fish the best I can do is a 5 gallon bucket for a few hours before the temp of the bucket drops( I don’t have a heater for the bucket )
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter tank kit from Walmart which has most of the essentials. A bucket is limited for long term use and can add stress to a given fish. Even a goodwill store may have a used setup for $20

OP
OP
q8cyu

q8cyu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with a severe bacterial and skin erosion issue mentioned by Jay.
Treatment will be in a quarantine tank using Seachem Kanaplex which is a broad spectrum antibiotic. Monitor ammonia level while in QT with a reliable test kit and increase oxygen with addition of air stone.
Is fish eating despite condition ?
Yeah the fish is acting normal eating food and algae throughout the day

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 154 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back