What is this purple/white pile of ropey stuff

Morphix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this under my rocks today, that's a sea hare - chomping on it or doing something to it with its head end. Is it some sort of egg thing? Is it a tapeworm or something? It's not moving and I didn't think sea hares ate anything but algae. purple****.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1236.mov
    2.1 MB
OP
OP
Morphix

Morphix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read some stuff online indicating laying eggs was an end of life activity for them, is that true?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read some stuff online indicating laying eggs was an end of life activity for them, is that true?
To phrase it this way - sea hares are short lived creatures, typically living about a year under good conditions; sometimes more like 7-8 months if conditions aren't as good. Depending on the species, they may also hit maturity around 7-8 months and start reproducing.

So, it may be an end of life activity, or they may have another 1/3-1/2 of their life left (again, there's some variation depending on care conditions and species).

Some species only live like 6-7 months, and start reproducing at like 2-3 months, so they'll still live another 3-4 months after reproducing.

Personally, I don't consider it a true end of life activity like with octopuses, as the laying of eggs doesn't literally kill them like it does octopuses.

Edit: At least, not with any of the species I've looked at.

yabani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone seen sea hares releasing such material before. I was concerned and I quarantined the sea hare believing there is something wrong and did not want to harm other fish in the aquarium.

Attachments

• seahare_vid.mp4
    3.6 MB
  • seahare1.jpeg
    seahare1.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 7
  • seahare2.jpeg
    seahare2.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 7

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back