What is this? Sand cocoons?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this on the underside of my acantho, think i noticed a few others in the past, appears to be something cased in rubble, less than a cenitmeter in length, any ideas?
20231106_160937.jpg
20231106_160940.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a juvenile spaghetti worm, but it does seem to be a worm of some kind. It looks like distinct, individual tentacles are coming out rather than a mass of them, so I'm more inclined to think this is going to be a detritivorous/carnivorous worm rather than a filter feeding one, but I could be wrong.

No specific ID from me here yet - sorry.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a juvenile spaghetti worm, but it does seem to be a worm of some kind. It looks like distinct, individual tentacles are coming out rather than a mass of them, so I'm more inclined to think this is going to be a detritivorous/carnivorous worm rather than a filter feeding one, but I could be wrong.

No specific ID from me here yet - sorry.
@ISpeakForTheSeas Should I remove it?

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing for sure what it is, it's hard to say, but I'm leaning towards keeping it.

If you can remove from the tube and get a pic of it in a bowl, I might be able to ID it, but I understand that might be a big ask. Otherwise, if you can count how many tentacles it has on it's head, that may be helpful too (I can see three for sure, possibly a fourth in the pic).

If it just has three tentacles, then it may be a Syllid worm (most likely harmless/beneficial); if it has four, then it may be a Dorvilleid (most likely harmless/beneficial); if it has more than that, I'd need to know how many tentacles it has, but there's still a good chance it's harmless.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing for sure what it is, it's hard to say, but I'm leaning towards keeping it.

If you can remove from the tube and get a pic of it in a bowl, I might be able to ID it, but I understand that might be a big ask. Otherwise, if you can count how many tentacles it has on it's head, that may be helpful too (I can see three for sure, possibly a fourth in the pic).

If it just has three tentacles, then it may be a Syllid worm (most likely harmless/beneficial); if it has four, then it may be a Dorvilleid (most likely harmless/beneficial); if it has more than that, I'd need to know how many tentacles it has, but there's still a good chance it's harmless.
Thanks! As long as it dosent bother the acantho it can stay, I'll see if I can get one in a bowl (there's a few)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks! As long as it dosent bother the acantho it can stay, I'll see if I can get one in a bowl (there's a few)
Take a needlenose pliers and break from the base of housing or scrape off outside of tank. Pics a little fuzzy to clearly see, but when in doubt- Remove

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So each of the 2 clusters of sand on the coral base are worms?
I think so, I nudged the acanto around when trying to space out the corals, they seen pretty well-attached I might add, though I was using a long coral feeder to move them so I couldn't say for sure, except they didn't come apart easily (they're still there)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they've bored into the coral base, I'm not sure how easily you can remove them. If it seems like they are multiplying, they may damage the coral from the inside... If there are only a few and they don't seem to be spreading, you might be ok leaving them. I'm just not sure what dip, etc you can use to kill them...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so, I nudged the acanto around when trying to space out the corals, they seen pretty well-attached I might add, though I was using a long coral feeder to move them so I couldn't say for sure, except they didn't come apart easily (they're still there)
If you can remove the coral from the tank and get a better idea of how deep they go, I might have a better answer for you :)

Or, if you can easily remove them from the skeleton, try to get a picture of them in a clear dish.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ISpeakForTheSeas anyway whatever it is, it's currently expanding it's home, checked today and it added a shell. Any idea now? Don't have a good photo, though is there any harmful hitchhiker that does this behavior?

Edit: just like the worm from yesterday, I'm removing it to be safe, I'll keep you updated

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ISpeakForTheSeas @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal UPDATE: as it turns out, I was wrong, whatever they were they were living inside the actual skeleton and had an outer tube made of debris, I took the acantho out and used coral glue to seal the tubes, though unfortunately I did have to drag the coral up the glass (I don't have forceps and can barely reach down there) so i accidentally caused some tissue damage, will this be fine?
20231110_150304.jpg

A small hole from the skeleton poking through, also this is what I sealed up
20231110_150258.jpg

Anyway, do you have any idea what it was? Definitely was irritating the acantho as he wasn't fully open where it was, glad I killed it

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely need to! Been procrastinating for too long! Though do you think my acantho will be fine?
Impossible for me to say. If you think you damaged it, you can always do an iodine dip/bath.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also be on the lookout for additional appearances... they might just bore a new hole to get out...
Will be on the lookout, though usually coral glue gets them. Removed my hair worm, sea spider, some other burrowing animal, and I did cover the area around it and the other holes, good luck getting out now!
Impossible for me to say. If you think you damaged it, you can always do an iodine dip/bath.
Iodine dips, my nemesis. I feel like I'll do more harm than good as I might damage it further trying to get it out. Might feed it today to give it some energy/nutrients

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back