What is this white stringy stuff hanging from my clownfish?

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have two clownfish in my 155 gallon tank so far and one of the fish has a white stringy piece hanging from him. Is this some type of parasite? I have a QT I can put him in if I need to. Do I need to treat the 155 gallon tank he is in now?

I give him a freshwater dip for 5 min about a month ago and thought it was gone until I noticed it again today.

20170903_192556.jpg

20170903_192644.jpg

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going through the same thing right now. It is internal worms. I am using metroflex and some seachem focus to bind the medication to the food. Mine started on Monday and I have only seen it once. I have been dosing metroflex all week. so get some seachem metroflex and seachem focus and start dosing it in the food. Here is what mine looked like:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/clown-sick.334975/#post-4169402

OP
OP
Daltrey

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I will order some now. That pic was taken a month ago and today was the first I have seen it since. How do I get rid of it from my tank and will it spread to other fish?

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I will order some now. That pic was taken a month ago and today was the first I have seen it since. How do I get rid of it from my tank and will it spread to other fish?
once it falls you can just use a hose and suck it out during a water change. I currently have 2 clowns in the QT tank and both fish doing good, no ill affect on the other fish

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female has the same thing from time to time ever since I got her.
She is roughly 6 years old and I have had her for 3 1/2 of those 6.

She is healthy and has been laying eggs Bi-weekly for 3 years.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the diagnosis and treatment.

mnosz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, Here is the recommended meds I am using in case anyone else comes across this thread.

51NwQeeMvKL._SY400_.jpg
Can this be used outside of QT I only have my 2 clowns and don't have a QT tank setul yet!

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can this be used outside of QT I only have my 2 clowns and don't have a QT tank setul yet!

I would imagine it can be since it is mixed with food. It is not dosed per gallonage.

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can it be mixed with crushed pellets. That's currently what I've been using
Honestly I would get some frozen and mix it with that. That will help the fish eat and get the parasites passed through faster as well. Plus the fish would love you for it, there is far more nutrition in frozen than in pellets.

mnosz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I would get some frozen and mix it with that. That will help the fish eat and get the parasites passed through faster as well. Plus the fish would love you for it, there is far more nutrition in frozen than in pellets.
What frozen food do I get can I get any from Amazon ? How do I use frozen food. Man I didn't realize this wasn't normal :( I'm scared now

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen is easier to get from a LFS. Just thaw out a cube and feed it. They like mysis shrimp, and mine even enjoy bloodworms and brine shrimp. A major reason people do not feed flakes or pellets is it raises the phosphate level in the aquarium and causes algae issue. i myself am fighting that so i don't need the added help from dry foods. Amazon may sell it but shipping will cost you quite a bit.

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I am not saying to cut the pellets out completely, just offer up something new every once in awhile. I always say variety is the spice of life, and in the wild they have several things to chow down on. Adding new foods will give them some excitement.

mnosz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I am not saying to cut the pellets out completely, just offer up something new every once in awhile. I always say variety is the spice of life, and in the wild they have several things to chow down on. Adding new foods will give them some excitement.
Is 1 cube too much for the 2 fish or is that a good amount? How often should I be feeding because I too have algae issues and I've been feeding a few pellets everyday but I heard some people only feed like every 3 days

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed every three days, because that is what I was told as well. You could cut a cube in half and feed that, dependin on the size of the clowns and what CUC you have. I split a cube between my sw and my fw tanks. Half for the clowns/ demoisale and the other for the macrostoma/ pallifinas. My snails take care of any left overs as does the HOB filter and the skimmer.

OP
OP
Daltrey

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an automatic timer that feeds pellet foods once a day. Plus I feed frozen a couple times a week. I just cut the cube in half and thaw in tank water. Then pour into tank.

If you have a petco or petsmart or lfs they carry frozen food. Here is what I'm using at the moment.

I get the meds in tomorrow and will start treating then and let you know what works best. Yes you can add it straight to your display tank.

20171114_113800.jpg

20171114_114613.jpg

mnosz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed every three days, because that is what I was told as well. You could cut a cube in half and feed that, dependin on the size of the clowns and what CUC you have. I split a cube between my sw and my fw tanks. Half for the clowns/ demoisale and the other for the macrostoma/ pallifinas. My snails take care of any left overs as does the HOB filter and the skimmer.
This is great info thanks! I'm going to get my medicine ordered and go buy some frozen shrimp today! Thanks for all the help

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 45 29.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 32 20.9%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 54 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back