What is this white stuff?

Sipec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, im starting my first reef tank and am wondering what this white stuff is on the back wall. Is it toxic, and if it is, how do i remove it?

IMG_0534.JPG

Matthew Dambra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely it is some type of Coraline algae and the best way to remove it is soaking it with warm water and white distilled vinegar solution and scraping/brushing it off

Be sure to thoroughly rinse the tank out after the cleaning process

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dead coraline algae. It's harmless, but kind of ugly in a new tank. An old credit card/hotel room key will scrape it off. Or better yet, while the tank is dry, soak it in white vinegar and it should come right off.

It's not harmful at all though. That beautiful purple algae that you see in established tanks turns like that when it dries out...

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like snail deposits. Is it hard? If so, spray with straight Vinegar, let soak in for a half hour, then scrape it off, but be easy on the scraping
If it's not snail deposits, it's Coraline Algae, and will desolve the same way

Clinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt creep? Soak it in vinegar, soak a towel in vinegar, put the towel over it seal it with some plastic let it sit over night, have a razor ready and elbow grease in mind. Worked with my new tank, took hours... This could be something different, calcium/mineral build up hard to say, I'd still try the same method. New to the hobby hopefully someone with experience will have a better andwer.

OP
OP
Sipec

Sipec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like snail deposits. Is it hard? If so, spray with straight Vinegar, let soak in for a half hour, then scrape it off, but be easy on the scraping
If it's not snail deposits, it's Coraline Algae, and will desolve the same way
Thanks, ill have to try that

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Im seeing hints of pink in it which would lean me towards coraline algae as previously stated. Either way vinegar and water are your friend, some great suggestions shared above on how to get rid of it :) I'd definitely let it soak a while t oease the amount of work you'll have to put into it if you don't.

OP
OP
Sipec

Sipec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dead coraline algae. It's harmless, but kind of ugly in a new tank. An old credit card/hotel room key will scrape it off. Or better yet, while the tank is dry, soak it in white vinegar and it should come right off.

It's not harmful at all though. That beautiful purple algae that you see in established tanks turns like that when it dries out...
Would this work instead of a credit card?

IMG_0536.JPG

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't that the front of the tank?
If so, be careful scraping, if you want to play safe buy a Dobie pad, it won't scratch your glass, but if it is the front it needs to go, be sure it's soaked well

OP
OP
Sipec

Sipec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cant really tell from my shot, but deposits are on the back of the tank. I'll probably cover most of it with rock, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Back