What is wrong with my angel?

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Chrysurus angel started this mottling pattern three days ago. It started around his head and has slowly covered his body. Initially, I thought that he was changing to adult coloration. He is eating well (mysis, brine shrimp, Nori, and several kinds of angel food). He is active and breathing normally. There is no shaking or shimming or spots. The other fish in the tank, four butterflies, show no symptoms and are acting normally. He is in a 125 FOWLR with no inverts. No new fish have been added in two months. This really has me perplexed.
IMG_1893.jpg
IMG_1891.jpg
IMG_1893.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My Chrysurus angel started this mottling pattern three days ago. It started around his head and has slowly covered his body. Initially, I thought that he was changing to adult coloration. He is eating well (mysis, brine shrimp, Nori, and several kinds of angel food). He is active and breathing normally. There is no shaking or shimming or spots. The other fish in the tank, four butterflies, show no symptoms and are acting normally. He is in a 125 FOWLR with no inverts. No new fish have been added in two months. This really has me perplexed.
IMG_1893.jpg
IMG_1891.jpg
IMG_1893.jpg
This is not color transitioning but either velvet or bacterial issue. I may rule out velvet as other fish would show symptoms and you did not list any symptoms which would be not limited to loss of appetite, heavy breathing, gasping at surface and swimming in path of flow as examples.
This comes to skin irritation and possible bacterial.
What is current ammonia and ph levels?
For diet, I would add foods to the diet. I see youre possibly in Europe and some would be Sera pellets, LRS Fish Frenzy, plankton, chopped krill and mysis shrimp with added vitamins such as Vita chem and Selcon if available.

OP
OP
dennis romano

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not color transitioning but either velvet or bacterial issue. I may rule out velvet as other fish would show symptoms and you did not list any symptoms which would be not limited to loss of appetite, heavy breathing, gasping at surface and swimming in path of flow as examples.
This comes to skin irritation and possible bacterial.
What is current ammonia and ph levels?
For diet, I would add foods to the diet. I see youre possibly in Europe and some would be Sera pellets, LRS Fish Frenzy, plankton, chopped krill and mysis shrimp with added vitamins such as Vita chem and Selcon if available.
The tank has been running for four years with all parameters checked out as fine. The tank also gets TDO Chrome Boost and Selcon a couple of times a week. The only recent death was a Falcula a month ago that came down with bloat. This morning, he is eating well and acting normally.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The tank has been running for four years with all parameters checked out as fine. The tank also gets TDO Chrome Boost and Selcon a couple of times a week. The only recent death was a Falcula a month ago that came down with bloat. This morning, he is eating well and acting normally.
How does the color look this morning?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not velvet. That would show as not eating and rapid breathing. You won't see skin lesions until the very end of the infection. Pomacanthus angels tend to show skin reactions like this to a variety of stressors, some readily apparent, others not so much.

Given the two month time frame since the last fish was added, I'd suspect flukes. If you see any hazy cast to the eye(s), then it could be Neobenedenia. If the eyes are completely clear, then it could be Gyrodactylus.

It could be a generalized bacterial infection, but those are pretty rare, they typically begin from some injury (but flukes can be the instigator of that).

Jay

OP
OP
dennis romano

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not velvet. That would show as not eating and rapid breathing. You won't see skin lesions until the very end of the infection. Pomacanthus angels tend to show skin reactions like this to a variety of stressors, some readily apparent, others not so much.

Given the two month time frame since the last fish was added, I'd suspect flukes. If you see any hazy cast to the eye(s), then it could be Neobenedenia. If the eyes are completely clear, then it could be Gyrodactylus.

It could be a generalized bacterial infection, but those are pretty rare, they typically begin from some injury (but flukes can be the instigator of that).

Jay
The eyes are clear. What should be the treatment?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As stated, I doubted velvet. For flukes would be praziPro (praziquantel). To be safe , dose at 80% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24-72 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Praziquantel is a relatively safe treatment to try if it is flukes. In a DT, you dose it at around 85% of the tank's volume to take into account displacement of the rocks and sand. You need to add extra aeration if you are dosing Prazipro, it isn't as important if you are dosing pure praziquantel. Remove carbon, turn off ozone and UV, and run your skimmer, but don't collect any skimmate during the treatment time. Dose the tank and then, 8 days later, do a 25% water change and redose.

Jay

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back