What is wrong with my chromis face

JojoM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there i have 5 chromis 1 small 3 medium and 1 large in size
And out of no where one of my chromis mouth and seemly part of his face looks like its coming off
I do have other fish in my tank
2 clown a tomini tang
A six line wrasse and a Twospined angelfish
I havent notices any fighting at all since ive had them
Ill attach some pictures im wondering if its a type of sickness

OP
OP
JojoM

JojoM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220606_205510.jpg
20220606_205509.jpg
VideoCapture_20220606-205749.jpg
VideoCapture_20220606-205740.jpg

OP
OP
JojoM

JojoM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After i posted this i saw the one of the other chromis the same size staying beside it and what looks like kissing it....i dont k ow how else to explain

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm right they called (pelvic fins) these looking abit worst than usual also, which size is this guy having problems

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great , happy to help, possibly your larger chromis is setting up pecking order and picking on your 'medium' sized one for dominance, this will also happen to your 'small' sized one's, hope this helps

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there i have 5 chromis 1 small 3 medium and 1 large in size
And out of no where one of my chromis mouth and seemly part of his face looks like its coming off
I do have other fish in my tank
2 clown a tomini tang
A six line wrasse and a Twospined angelfish
I havent notices any fighting at all since ive had them
Ill attach some pictures im wondering if its a type of sickness
That is called a hyper extension of the upper maxillary. I’ve never seen this in a chromis, but have seen it in groupers and angelfish. It is due to some trauma. Sometimes this gets better on its own, at least partially. Other times, if the fish cannot feed, it ends up being fatal….
I’ve tried pushing the bones back in place with limited success, but never tried it on a fish this small.
Jay

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is called a hyper extension of the upper maxillary. I’ve never seen this in a chromis, but have seen it in groupers and angelfish. It is due to some trauma. Sometimes this gets better on its own, at least partially. Other times, if the fish cannot feed, it ends up being fatal….
I’ve tried pushing the bones back in place with limited success, but never tried it on a fish this small.
Jay
So it's a genetic thing then?

OP
OP
JojoM

JojoM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Oh okay thanks for letting me know, seems he cant get pellets in his mouth, so i guess i should prepare for a loss.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From photos you provided it's definitely getting pecked at, ventral or pelvic fins should not look like shards of glass, they should be rounded and defined,

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also sit and watch to find the cause .. especially at feeding time, Bullys tend to push and separate others by force/fins to stop them eating

OP
OP
JojoM

JojoM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also sit and watch to find the cause .. especially at feeding time, Bullys tend to push and separate others by force/fins to stop them eating
I watch them regularly and i see no bullying, at feeding time the usually all swin round and try and find the next things thats falling i make sure the each fish had enough to avoid any fights or unfed fish.
Hence why im kinda confused how it just happened

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay thanks for letting me know, seems he cant get pellets in his mouth, so i guess i should prepare for a loss.
If it is trying to feed, but can't swallow the pellets, can you try something softer and smaller? Perhaps diced up mysid shrimp? Live baby brine shrimp would be the best thing to try, but hatching it out is a pain and takes time, etc.

Jay

OP
OP
JojoM

JojoM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is trying to feed, but can't swallow the pellets, can you try something softer and smaller? Perhaps diced up mysid shrimp? Live baby brine shrimp would be the best thing to try, but hatching it out is a pain and takes time, etc.

Jay
Thanks for the suggestions i gave him so frozen daphnia today and he ate them almost with no problem so hopefully he can slowly recover, i not sure how fast or slow fish heal though.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back