What light for a 25G is quiet?

Mangimi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I have a waterbox 25G peninsula, currently running an AI HD 16 prime. I hate that light. The app is good and the light looks nice. I've added thermal paste already to quieten it done some. However, running it at more than 30w is a PITA. Why is that thing so loud?

I am very bothered by noise, so what for some might be a slight hum will drive me nuts. If you can hear it I don't want it. Also, the tank is currently set up in my office and I need silence to focus on work.

What options do I have? I would like to be able to get at least 50w into the tank without losing my mind. I love the ATI Straton Flex 51, but it's very pricy. On the plus side, it's a ton of light and it'll never make a noise. What else is there? I don't want any larger AI or Radion. AI's decision not to use thermal paste is a no go, I wish I never bought that thing. Regarding Ecotech: everything I ever had from them was noisy as. Super expensive and not suitable for a quiet room.

What else is there? Are there some chinese solutions that have no annoying fans? I'm considering to glue my AI prime on a large heat sink and to cover it in acrylic. Back in the day I made my own light with two silent computer fans. That thing was great. Around 50w on 26G, it grew corals like crazy and it was almost inaudible. If I could I'd rather buy something that works out of the box than to DIY since I have a full time job, a two month old baby and a PhD to complete... So please if any of you have some ideas?

P1020610.JPG

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessel A80 and some AI Blades.
Or these. They use the mount as a active cooling.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 fixtures are quiet. Mine doesn't have a fan. It's an older Tek brand. Metal halides would be silent too.

Reefi Unos have PID fan with a great heatsink and cooling system, so those should be really quiet, especially since you would have them turned way down on a 25 gallon.

OP
OP
Mangimi

Mangimi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, T5 is extinct here in Europe.

As of August this year, there will be no new T5 bulb brought to market anymore. My go-to shop has a total of two 24W ATI T5 bubls left in stock. No new ones will follow.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, T5 is extinct here in Europe.

As of August this year, there will be no new T5 bulb brought to market anymore. My go-to shop has a total of two 24W ATI T5 bubls left in stock. No new ones will follow.
You should be able to find some fanless Popbloom lights from China.

Or at least you could at one time. They ran the LEDs " lighter" in order to not need a fan.

The 30w may be fanless

You may need 2.
I'd ask them.

S50 as well

This rebranded Micmole will put 60w over a 600mm wide tank
Micmol direct:

Ap-600 is 80w

Last edited:

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 fixtures are quiet. Mine doesn't have a fan. It's an older Tek brand. Metal halides would be silent too.

Reefi Unos have PID fan with a great heatsink and cooling system, so those should be really quiet, especially since you would have them turned way down on a 25 gallon.
Seconding the Reefi Uno 2.0 Pros. I run mine about 30-35% over a 20G and it's whisper quiet but I'm also not hyper sensitive to that stuff. I will say the nuvoskim DC skimmer is the most audible piece of equipment I have and that's still super quiet.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
21LEDUSA Dot Com, no fans, just a good designed heat sink. I don‘t like their 10” ReefBar Pros though. They used a different Chip in them, and they aren’t as nice as the longer ReefBar Pros.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back