OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I’m getting a lot of I’m smart and assume you’re dumb from the people on this post. That attitude gives you little room to learn and in my experience, is bound to make you look like an idiot. And if you looked, you would see it in this conversation l.
@YOYOYOReefer Remember when I told this to you? Nothing has ever been more true. Have something to say about this? QUOTE ME MIXING UP PRECISION AND ACCURACY! You told me a hundred times how I am mixing them up and inferred how smart you are. Not looking so smart.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubling growth with higher ph is a claim from brs investigates. They weighed the corals in a controlled experiment. Also confirmed with many other people including myself. I also said explicitly that I don’t have a magic number and would like to average natural seawater. How on earth do you have such a problem with this?

You can’t quote me mixing them up because I never did. It is absolutely insane how many times you said it and you can’t quote me doing it at all.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thank you. There have been a lot of people telling me I am crazy saying exactly what this claims.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check out page 3. you as you spout out so much nonsense..
Lionfish hunter said:
Highly unlikely they are both reading exactly.1 off on the extreme ends to make this scenario true. Which is why I said I am not confident one of them is not reading more than .1 off. I also had to change calibration fluids and calibrate both of them many times to achieve the .2 difference. Either my 9 or 10 ph fluid is off already. My next plan is to order new 7, 9, and 10 fluids. Calibrate both probes and temp sensors to the 7 and 10 fluid. Then check with the 9 after on both probes. See which one is off at ph of 9.

then you question randy , and you might not know it but randys kinda the man with reef chemistry.

then you talk about your coral thats worth $1200 per inch but you want a $400 ghl to do what you need a $5000 toledo mettler to resolve to an accuracy level that you still cant explain ,, saying brs did a video does not make anything work.. they do all kinds of videos its called marketing.. they sell alot of junk products and some good products too.

all the while pretending that this level of accuracy is going to allow you to "keep corals at this magical higher PH"

How bout i ask you a question.. How do all the rest of us get by with these hobby grade reef kits and keep reefs for decades? What makes your system so special , you think you can keep your ph at a certain ph and it wont fluxctuate? not possible. but keep pretending

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check out page 3. you as you spout out so much nonsense..
Lionfish hunter said:
Highly unlikely they are both reading exactly.1 off on the extreme ends to make this scenario true. Which is why I said I am not confident one of them is not reading more than .1 off. I also had to change calibration fluids and calibrate both of them many times to achieve the .2 difference. Either my 9 or 10 ph fluid is off already. My next plan is to order new 7, 9, and 10 fluids. Calibrate both probes and temp sensors to the 7 and 10 fluid. Then check with the 9 after on both probes. See which one is off at ph of 9.

then you question randy , and you might not know it but randys kinda the man with reef chemistry.

then you talk about your coral thats worth $1200 per inch but you want a $400 ghl to do what you need a $5000 toledo mettler to resolve to an accuracy level that you still cant explain ,, saying brs did a video does not make anything work.. they do all kinds of videos its called marketing.. they sell alot of junk products and some good products too.

all the while pretending that this level of accuracy is going to allow you to "keep corals at this magical higher PH"

How bout i ask you a question.. How do all the rest of us get by with these hobby grade reef kits and keep reefs for decades? What makes your system so special , you think you can keep your ph at a certain ph and it wont fluxctuate? not possible. but keep pretending
Where in this did I mix up accuracy and precision!

And I did not say anything to Randy. Not once, you are so full of lies.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did I say anything about Randy being wrong!?

And again for the absolute last time. Where did I mix up accuracy and precision!?

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy Holmes-Farley said:
OK, let's all relax a bit. :)

FWIW, if something claims +/- 0.1 accuracy, then two of them can deviate by 0.2 without necessarily being outside of the limits.
Yes I understand that. But bean animal is saying that if GHL claims .1 accuracy, they are rounding and they actually mean .2.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
EXACTLY MY POINT... Randy told you Yes it can deviate by .2 !!!!!! So did bean.

then you still pretend.. and if you re read the thread bean never said that.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I understand that. But bean animal is saying that if GHL claims .1 accuracy, they are rounding and they actually mean .2.

EXACTLY MY POINT... Randy told you Yes it can deviate by .2 !!!!!!

Do you not understand what a deviation on .2 means? It means if the actual reading is 8.0, a reading of 8.1 or 7.9 is within range. I DID NOT DISAGREE WITH THAT, I LITERALLY SAID I AGREE. Here hold on, let me find some more post to back this up.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am aware a .1 accuracy can mean 8.0-8.2, which I have alluded to earlier. It is the rounding that I disagreed with. If they do round then it is not a truthful claim in my opinion. But there is nothing saying they do. Not saying they don’t, but you can’t say they do without the asterisk that it is not known.
Here you go

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
EXACTLY MY POINT... Randy told you Yes it can deviate by .2 !!!!!! So did bean.

You’re misinterpreting everything I say.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you keep trying to give me basic lessons on accuracy instead of actually saying I misunderstood you on the entire premise of the argument. Which you just did again! Go back in my arguments and find one time where I screwed up the meaning of accuracy. -+.1 means .1 on either end yes, why do you keep telling me this!
Hear you again.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was confident they were accurate to .1, I would be okay with that. I am not.
Here we go on another thing you just got wrong. You have said ten times I am chairing accuracy that is not possible to get from my equipment. I said at least 3 times I would be happy with an accuracy of .1. Which is the advertised accuracy.
You are wrong again.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still waiting for you to quote me on messing up accuracy with being precise. So many claims were made on this, prove it or stop posting.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dude you are hung up on accuracy , you also trip over resolution and some basic reefing concepts like you think ph is more important than alk,, and you whine and cry when when people tell you your wrong

whats the actual method you plan to implement to achieve your high ph goal that you are so concerned about accuracy.
what will your meter being "perfectly calibrated" gain you and how would you go about accomplishing this high ph what ph do you expect to maintain?

if you want to do research like this https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2019.00150/full
get your self some chemistry classes and drop some money on some toledo mettler gear..

if you want to have an aquarium hobby use what everyone else uses and dont pretend none of the gear is accurate enough.. compared to when i stared 30 years ago so much of this was all trial and error , you know before they had the internet..

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
dude you are hung up on accuracy , you also trip over resolution and some basic reefing concepts like you think ph is more important than alk,, and you whine and cry when when people tell you your wrong

whats the actual method you plan to implement to achieve your high ph goal that you are so concerned about accuracy.
what will your meter being "perfectly calibrated" gain you and how would you go about accomplishing this high ph what ph do you expect to maintain?

if you want to do research like this https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2019.00150/full
get your self some chemistry classes and drop some money on some toledo mettler gear..

if you want to have an aquarium hobby use what everyone else uses and dont pretend none of the gear is accurate enough.. compared to when i stared 30 years ago so much of this was all trial and error , you know before they had the internet..
I never said ph was more important than alk, wrong again! For god sake, did I? Then prove it.

I said having a a precise alk reading is more important than an accurate alk reading. Which it is! And if you think it isn’t, how on earth do you think you know more about reefing than I do? Clearly everything I say is over your head because you get it wrong every time. It is way more important to have a precise alk reading because that lets you keep alk stable. Alk stability is the key. But it really doesn’t matter if it is accurate. A stable alk of 8 is great, a stable alk of 9 is great, a stable alk of 10 probably fine in most cases. The accuracy is not the issue with alk. I test alk 6 times a day, do you really think I don’t think alk is important? This is getting crazy.

OP
OP
Lionfish hunter

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am concerned with the ph of my reef water . Yes I guess it would be okay for calcium reactor or kalk.

I firmly believe accuracy of ph is more important than alkalinity. A ph of 8.3 easily gives twice the coral growth of 7.9 and much better overall health. Lots of studies confirm this. Brs has a good series on it. And I have recorded undeniable results as well.
Corals do okay in a very large alkalinity range. I do believe alkalinity precision and stability to be the important factor. Which is why I have a kh director testing alk 6 times a day. Less concerned if my alk is 7.5, 8.5, or 9.5 with a given reading, as long as my readings are precise. Consistency with alk, and high ph are what I have found to be very important.
And hear you again. I said the accuracy of alk is not as important as ph and that the important thing about alk is how precise the measurements are because it is about stability for alk.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back