what pump for CPR backpack skimmer?

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've had this skimmer for a loooong time. and lately the pump keeps stopping, i took it apart and noticed that the shaft is rusted on the ends where the grommets fit on.

i *think* the pump, was an old rio (600 maybe?).....the label tore off years ago. the pump is very old and worn down......so i figure best to just replace the pump.

i see the new CPR models use the MJ1200.......but in attempt to improve skimmer performance 2 years ago.....i thought the MJ1200 sucked compared to the rio.....and i've also heard others say the same thing.

i see this new Accela pump being advertised for use with the CPR backpack......anyone know anything about it, or have any other suggestion?

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...oduct_Code=CPR-ASP1-1000&Category_Code=Bakpak

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have to mod the MJ1200 to make it work good. Have you seen the bioball mod that makes them into a needlewheel.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang do a search on RC it's a cool mod it actually fits in the housing pretty much the bioball is the fins of the pump. You drill out the middle of the bioball and put it on the shaft.

tazzy695

New As They Come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thaught they came with the rio 900 not the 600

personaly I am tired of my mj1200 on my cpr it forces the bubbles all the way through the skimmer do to too much flow

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey surfn - did you take out that sponge pad thingy in the output chamber?? I've gotta clean mine soon and I still have it in there but it seems to clogg really easily?? I'd like to make it a bit more efficient on the skimmate too. It gets really light skim most of the time. Then sometimes it gets really thick and dark. Guess its just the skimmer???

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey surfn - did you take out that sponge pad thingy in the output chamber?? I've gotta clean mine soon and I still have it in there but it seems to clogg really easily?? I'd like to make it a bit more efficient on the skimmate too. It gets really light skim most of the time. Then sometimes it gets really thick and dark. Guess its just the skimmer???

mine never came with a sponge......FWIW.....mine has always skimmed a light tea mixture.

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok cool. I think I'm gonna remove it then. also has yours ever leaked around the return tube? last time i had a crazy salt buildup arount the outside of the return like there was a leak so I torqued the heck out of it and it doesn't now. maybe its that rubber grommet gone bad.. lemme know what you find on the replacement of the pump. mine is giving up the gusto tho too. Not bad for 8-10 years of continuous service...

OP
OP
surfn

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO...i would take yours apart and clean it real good, then dry it out.

take apart the exit tube and inspect the gasket....make sure its not torn. then apply some plumbers silicone gel/grease........just a little bit to the gasket.....but not so much it would touch the water.

i tried the MJ1200 before.....i didn't like the results. it also pushed all the bubbles back into the tank. if no one else speaks up soon, i will probably try out this Accela pump thing.

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet!!!!!!!!! $24 bucks its totally worth a try IMO. I've got a lot of stuff to get...bulb, pump, umm Nuclear Greens.... can't wait for Christmas to be over so that I can start spending money on the tank again!!!

tazzy695

New As They Come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I first got my cpr it didn't have a pump so I used an aquaclear 30 on it for a while and thaught it worked prety well except for the fact I had to use an air pump to inject the air as the aquaclear pump couldn't pull the air down into the intake for some reason but made great skimmate with the pump and air pump runing

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah man thanks for the link....I'll have to see which way I go before my origional pump wears out.

tazzy695

New As They Come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well tested the maxijet mod with a piece of brillow style sponge tied to the impeller and it dosn't realy work that way need some stiff plastic mesh like what they used if you can get it I would guess

will probly have to redoo mine I am getting realy sick of these micro bubbles in my main tank

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you search someone used a bioball and drilled out the middle and slip that on the shaft and it worked great.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back