What quality 2X4s for stand build

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about 50% done with my aquarium stand build - it will be for a 90 gallon tank, 42" long, 24" wide. I am using 2X4s, and I was focused on finding really straight pieces when I picked out the lumber at home depot. I am using 226 Stimson Kiln Dried HEM FIR STUDs. It is very straight and dry. And I have no doubt it will support the legs of the stand just fine (8 pieces will be used - 2 2X4 at each corner of the stand). However, As I was looking at my final top and bottom support frames, I noticed the lumber has some knots. The one in this picture is in a 2X4 that will support the top frame of the tank. The knot will have a supporting 2X4 leg under it (by chance) but do I need to go back and find 2 pieces that are knot free for the long spans of the top of the tank just to be safe? Anyone know the best lumber to use for this application?

44199974720_810a9d0cd4_c.jpg

45966040122_706fbc27f5_c.jpg

44199974550_688f14bf27_c.jpg

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about 50% done with my aquarium stand build - it will be for a 90 gallon tank, 42" long, 24" wide. I am using 2X4s, and I was focused on finding really straight pieces when I picked out the lumber at home depot. I am using 226 Stimson Kiln Dried HEM FIR STUDs. It is very straight and dry. And I have no doubt it will support the legs of the stand just fine (8 pieces will be used - 2 2X4 at each corner of the stand). However, As I was looking at my final top and bottom support frames, I noticed the lumber has some knots. The one in this picture is in a 2X4 that will support the top frame of the tank. The knot will have a supporting 2X4 leg under it (by chance) but do I need to go back and find 2 pieces that are knot free for the long spans of the top of the tank just to be safe? Anyone know the best lumber to use for this application?

44199974720_810a9d0cd4_c.jpg

45966040122_706fbc27f5_c.jpg

44199974550_688f14bf27_c.jpg

no worries. that should be way plenty strong even with the knots.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the fast reply. I'm still in a good place in this build so I may see if I can find a piece without a knot and use that instead. But good that you think its not an issue

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sandwiching a piece of plywood between the 2x4s will make it much stronger

Also, on corners, have 1 piece of the 2x4 under the top/cross support, and one next to and as high as top support is a good thing. Another words stagger the corners with top and bottom pieces

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working off rocketengineer's template so I have a 2X4 header sitting on 8 2X4 legs (attached to a guide), sitting on another 2X4 "header". I have one cross brace on the top section. I will ad 3/4" plywood to the top but will not do so for the bottom header as I need the space for sump/skimmer. My stand is not that tall so room is limited.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working off rocketengineer's template so I have a 2X4 header sitting on 8 2X4 legs (attached to a guide), sitting on another 2X4 "header". I have one cross brace on the top section. I will ad 3/4" plywood to the top but will not do so for the bottom header as I need the space for sump/skimmer. My stand is not that tall so room is limited.

that design is completely stable if built accurately. it’s actually overkill but good for someone who can’t cut plywood easily.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I always thought that as well but then the idea that a 2X4 with a knot might somehow not support the 1,000 lbs or so of the tank, got me thinking to be extra safe. I really don't want to ever have a doubt about the support. I'll post a few pics when I finish the build.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I always thought that as well but then the idea that a 2X4 with a knot might somehow not support the 1,000 lbs or so of the tank, got me thinking to be extra safe. I really don't want to ever have a doubt about the support. I'll post a few pics when I finish the build.

The only time you really have to worry about knots is when they are what we call " spike knots" knots that are not round encased knots, but rather looking kinda like a branch section going across, those can be a weak point and should be avoided.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, rocket engineer’s stand has staggered corners as I was trying to describe.
Good to go
Good luck
Post up some picks

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah its solid for sure. I just got done lining up the legs and its all coming together. In the past i never used wood glue and just relied on screws to hold it all together. Thoughts on that front? Is glue necessary? Also, I'm using a kreg jig to make pocket screws do the main bonding to the header and bottom frames. Let me know if this all sounds ok - taking a break now and will start back up tomorrow.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like that knots goonna hurt anything... Plywood to me is best product for a tank stand . Mine is 2x4 thou . Its build into the wall .

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for response, we're just being silly and a little knotty...

Speaking of which I tried googling spike knot images, but apparently spike and knots brings you to all sorts of different images...

It is important to be able to identify wood properly though, so here.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 33.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back