what should I do

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here is the deal. Right now I have a 240gallon display with a 125gallon sump. A 30g frag tank, and a 40g fuge. This system has all the bells and whistles with equipment. Here is my question. In the next 3 weeks I will be setting up a 60g frag tank, 48x24x12 and I was thinking it would be better if I do not plumb this into my main system but to make this a stand alone system. That would mean a skimmer,heater,dosing system or reactor, make up water ect. The ups to this is god forbid I had a problem with the main system I could move some corals to the frag system till I repair the problem. Then Im thinking well my main system has large sps corals incrusted on rocks so those would not be able to be removed but if there were a crash I would cut them and place them into the stand alone frag system.

Would like to hear so comments from you people

thanks Bill

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would set it up alone think it makes good sense to have a back up if something goes wrong more equip. sure but peace of mind is worth it

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill,

FWIW, most folks plumb their frag tanks into their existing systems. this way you grow frags under the same water conditions as the main system. it also adds to total water stability in the entire system. If it were me, this is the route I would take for the overall stability of the frag system and the rest. the ONLY reason I would run it seperate is if it were a QT tank for new corals or fish.

OP
OP
Salty Dog

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system now is a 24og total volume of 380g so this would bump it up to 440g. I was thinking the same thing about volume and stablity

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you already have a frag tank connected to the main tank are you putting your frags in the 60 or frags from others?

OP
OP
Salty Dog

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30g frag that is connected to my main, its 36x12x18 , Im full with frags so I want to go bigger and I bought a 48x24x12 and was woundering if I should do a stand alone system or pipe it into my main. I would keep my 30g frag tank and keep all my sps frags in that and just chalices in the large frag tank

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about chalices but as large of a system as you have if it were me I would still like a small tank to stand alone just incase. I only have a 95 but set up a 40b stand alone just incase makes me feel better especially after reading so many posts about tanks breaking & pests etc. having said that I know the 60 would be more stable if added in with the large system so comes down to stability or peace of mind :neutral:

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think 60 gallons is going to add all that much stability to an already large system. Keep it separate and have a backup. The peace of mind would be worth it.

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here is the deal. Right now I have a 240gallon display with a 125gallon sump. A 30g frag tank, and a 40g fuge. This system has all the bells and whistles with equipment. Here is my question. In the next 3 weeks I will be setting up a 60g frag tank, 48x24x12 and I was thinking it would be better if I do not plumb this into my main system but to make this a stand alone system. That would mean a skimmer,heater,dosing system or reactor, make up water ect. The ups to this is god forbid I had a problem with the main system I could move some corals to the frag system till I repair the problem. Then Im thinking well my main system has large sps corals incrusted on rocks so those would not be able to be removed but if there were a crash I would cut them and place them into the stand alone frag system.

Would like to hear so comments from you people

thanks Bill

I say separate system. Think of it this way, what costs more, all of the equipment you need to run a separate system or the cost of replacing all of the corals that died because all of your systems were linked together and it crashed for some reason. My frag tanks run on their own systems just to make sure I have a place to put stuff just in case. A 380G system is already pretty stable IMO.

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have as large of a main system but I recently added a stand-alone frag/grow-out system for the reasons everyone is mentioning above. Stability is important, but I'd rather have a separate system should anything happen to either one.

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have as large of a main system but I recently added a stand-alone frag/grow-out system for the reasons everyone is mentioning above. Stability is important, but I'd rather have a separate system should anything happen to either one.

1smile1

OP
OP
Salty Dog

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats were Im leaning for sure, stand alone system. Guess I have to visit the drygood for sale section...:sure:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back