What size Co2 scrubber?

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I am currently having issues with my PH and struggling to stay past 7.9, I have tried opening more windows which isn’t suitable for too long since the winter is pretty cold in NYC. I’ve never used a CO2 scrubber before so I’m wondering if anyone can tell me what size scrubber so I need, I’m running a Reef Octopus 110INT. I have a 85 gallon DT with 15 gallon sump and I am very tight on space in the stand so something compact would be ideal.
Thanks in advance!

EB5B6F67-4E16-44C0-8726-334BAB1AF53F.png

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does opening the windows raise the pH though? I think whatever size you can fit is probably what's best to go with (and smaller units will theoretically be cheaper to operate).
Slightly but it does, does it need to sit somewhere specifically or could I put behind the sump?

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy whatever unit fits easily in your sump or stand area. My experience running a 1 liter scrubber on my 425XL has been great with PH never dropping below 8.2.

I have been surprised by how long the media lasts. This is anecdotal but when I installed the scrubber I ran the a hose from the input on the scrubber to outside my stand (not outside my house). It has made me wonder if my PH would have been improved by just drawing my skimmer air from outside the stand. I don’t have any incentive to experiment now but if I were in your position, I would at least try this before adding a scrubber.

OP
OP
Andresnyc93

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy whatever unit fits easily in your sump or stand area. My experience running a 1 liter scrubber on my 425XL has been great with PH never dropping below 8.2.

I have been surprised by how long the media lasts. This is anecdotal but when I installed the scrubber I ran the a hose from the input on the scrubber to outside my stand (not outside my house). It has made me wonder if my PH would have been improved by just drawing my skimmer air from outside the stand. I don’t have any incentive to experiment now but if I were in your position, I would at least try this before adding a scrubber.
Will give this a try before I buy it. Although most reactors look cheap and pretty efficient/easy to set up.
does your ph stay on 8.2 consistently with the scrubber? Or do you have drops here and there

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will give this a try before I buy it. Although most reactors look cheap and pretty efficient/easy to set up.
does your ph stay on 8.2 consistently with the scrubber? Or do you have drops here and there
8.2 is my overnight low and and 8.3 to maybe 8.4 is my daytime high. I’m very happy with the results; I think running a line outside the stand is a good idea either way. I have an IceCap scrubber and it did not come with any tubing so you’ll need that anyways. It did come with media and I bought more media with the expectation of it not lasting, but the original 1 liter has been in for more than a month!

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 10.0%
Back