What size tank do you recommend for a New Reefer?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a go-to recommendation for tank sizes for new reefers?

What size tank did you start with? Where are you now?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer from the 90's. Back then started with a 55 corner overflow and home made sump with bio balls
Lol!.
Got back in after 20 years out with a 18" nano cube corner overflow with no bio balls.
Kept it for 2 years then transfered it to my current 120.
So with no experience I would recommend a 40 breeder with corner overflow and sump. Wont break the bank and will have enough water for "stability" which is the name of the game!

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a 40 gallon Oceanic stretch hex. Moved to a 40 breeder, then a 60 tall. Then to a 29 due to stand failure and now onto a waterbox 70.2.
I wouldn’t go under a 29. It’s a good footprint, pretty forgiving with mistakes and you have a few options. That being said I’ve always been told bigger is way better when it comes to reefing. At least until you have a handle on how to stock and keep up with water quality.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my recommendation is to get the biggest tank can fit/afford then let it cycle while reading up on R2R , then start your journey, not only will it give you more stability but your will have the room to grow into. people often make the mistake of thinking they can nano reef (which is harder than normal reefing) then when they have a crash , boom they quit. Then figure they can get back in with a bigger tank for more stability , so they spent double the time/ money and now have spent money twice. I suggest everybody also gives the tank a good 2 years to settle into its zone. Dont freak out about every little thing until after you've been up a few years , things swing a lot in the beginning . Currently running a 80DT with 40GT and 30 FT all plumbed into a 40 breeder sump. Total volume is like 175gal , I ran nano tanks for ever and they are a whole diff animal than a larger reef system

gdubs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my recommendation is to get the biggest tank can fit/afford then let it cycle while reading up on R2R , then start your journey, not only will it give you more stability but your will have the room to grow into. people often make the mistake of thinking they can nano reef (which is harder than normal reefing) then when they have a crash , boom they quit. Then figure they can get back in with a bigger tank for more stability , so they spent double the time/ money and now have spent money twice. I suggest everybody also gives the tank a good 2 years to settle into its zone. Dont freak out about every little thing until after you've been up a few years , things swing a lot in the beginning . Currently running a 80DT with 40GT and 30 FT all plumbed into a 40 breeder sump. Total volume is like 175gal , I ran nano tanks for ever and they are a whole diff animal than a larger reef system
Excellent advice, just remember to calculate your budget (for everything, not just the tank) first. Lighting, flow, filtration and everything else involved increases exponentially with the size of the tank, but it is easier to maintain stable parameters.

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please please, cycle this tank in the format you discussed w/ the WWC tank. Rocks in a garbage can for 4 months.

Thank you!!

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 88 I started with a 20, quickly moved to a 55 and ended up with a 75. Now days, I think a 40-45 with a 10-15g sump would be what I recommend to anyone new. This will get someone new off to a great start and size setting them up for success In the present and future of the hobby.This would be a minimum in my opinion.

The one other thing I would tell a new reefer is to only get a tank they can reach the bottom and back of. They will have to clean the tank and need to be able to reach things in it.

Trying to do this hobby on the cheap with a tiny tank is a tough way to go. Failure can be discouraging and cause people to leave the hobby before getting to enjoy it.

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 breeder with overflow and small sump
good footprint for aquascape.
good amount of room for fun fish
not too deep that it's hard to light.
big enough that it's stable,
small enough that a 5 gal bucket is perfect water change size.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed about a 40, or a 29, or a 20 tall. Depends on what the person has in mind in terms of budget and future. it's twice as much work to waterchange a 40 compared to a 20 tall. But 40 will probably be more satisfaction long term, especially with newer people that tend to over stock.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 4x2x2 with a 40 breeder sump is perfect for a beginner. Not to big to want to upgrade for several years and still big enough to keep most fish and coral. A skimmer, heater, two lights and two pumps for flow and your all set.

Plus you can at least sell it if you want to get out and recoup at least half of your investment. You can't give away a 40 breeder.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the 70-90 gallon range is a sweet spot for a beginning reefer. There’s a threshold right around 70 gallons that opens up a great many more kinds of fish. Also, equipment wise, there’s so many options in that range that are more on the affordable side. Going bigger and the equipment starts to get more expensive. Lastly it’s a decent size to help with stability.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back