What to add to new tank to boost it???

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a 180 with 40 gallon sump soon that I got for a steal. I have bio bricks like 20 sticks in my sump of my current tank (65 gallon volume) and that tank is just shy of a year up and running. The bricks will be on there around a month once the tank is filled. Is this enough to fast cycle the tank or should I add bacteria if so what. Anything I should add to boost the tank in your opinion? Pods? Any help is great didn’t know much for my first tank so want to get the second one right!

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With established media (maybe add more ceramic in dark of 60?) from what I’ve seen people get a quicker cycle, and pods etc are all good too. As long as the ammonia clears as it should. I did a jump start with 1ppm ammonia and bacteria dosing + a little overboard with bio7. . Pods will die off with high ammonia, once that settled I immediately had success with both the pods abd starting some chaeto. Hope this helped

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to know what the plans are. Will this be a second tank, or will you be transferring? If transferring, you don't need to add anything. The current rock will support what livestock you have. Make sure to rinse the sand very well or use new. If this will be a second tank, the bricks will work, but will take longer. Using bottle bac would help it along.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to know what the plans are. Will this be a second tank, or will you be transferring? If transferring, you don't need to add anything. The current rock will support what livestock you have. Make sure to rinse the sand very well or use new. If this will be a second tank, the bricks will work, but will take longer. Using bottle bac would help it along.
Okay so back story to help you help me :). this is a 180 with 40-gallon sump that I got. My other tank is mine and my father's while this one I am only investing in so it will be mine, so I will not be adding the rock and corals over getting everything new (dry rock, new sand). So obviously you test and once ammonia goes up and goes back down to 0 and you have some nitrates that is a fully cycled tank. However, do I need to do something to initiate it if so what? Also once it is done if there isn't any fish off the gun will it stay cycled?
With me only using the pieces of biobricks and extra rubble lying in the bottom of my sump what bacteria should I add to boost the tank? is there such thing of overdosing bacteria? Also should you wait to add pods for fish or no? Also when do you dose said bacteria?
I question because I am young but I use my freshwater technique of use old media test for no ammonia and then throw in a fish and roll the dice. However first fish cannot be a gamble with it being 5 or more clowns all getting added at once from the same batch so I can have quite a few.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Provided they remain wet…..Just move those seasoned bio bricks over and your ready.
Nothing else required.

Never harm adding some bacteria, or a blend,or some pods and a dose of phyto.
Well what is seasoned? They have been in my sump for 2 weeks tops and my tank wont be wet for like 2-3 more weeks so is that sufficient or should I wait longer?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well what is seasoned? They have been in my sump for 2 weeks tops and my tank wont be wet for like 2-3 more weeks so is that sufficient or should I wait longer?
Your post reads in part” I have bio bricks like 20 sticks in my sump of my current tank (65 gallon volume) and that tank is just shy of a year up and running.”

That be seasoned.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your post reads in part” I have bio bricks like 20 sticks in my sump of my current tank (65 gallon volume) and that tank is just shy of a year up and running.”

That be seasoned.
Well, I should add to that, that I added them about 2 weeks ago so I'm not sure how long for bacteria to colonize on the sticks.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I should add to that, that I added them about 2 weeks ago so I'm not sure how long for bacteria to colonize on the sticks.
How long have your sticks been wet?
I’m just a bit lost here.

Your post says you have 1 year old bio sticks.
If added to a new system your already cycled, by transferring these.

Do I misunderstand?

Just finished a 65g to 180g that way.
Bio blocks to from sump to sump.
Cycled. Done.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do I misunderstand?

Cycled. Done.
Bio sticks have been wet 2 weeks. So that’s why I’m wondering how long to leave them till they are seeded well enough.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do I misunderstand?

Cycled. Done.
Like is it a month before new rock or bio balls or bio bricks are seeded and more established? 2 months 3 months?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like is it a month before new rock or bio balls or bio bricks are seeded and more established? 2 months 3 months?
The establishment does not end. The population and diversity continues to evolve throughout the tanks life, but some of the real good algae’s and bacteria are slow to populate.

In the initial stage “the cycle” would be safe to start adding ammonia makers (fish) easy within two weeks of adding dry rock, sand, saltwater, flow and a bottle of bacteria, (I only wait 2-3days).

As we slowly add fish, the processors increase to meet that load and so on.

But we can help in the process two ways.
Add diversity through different bacteria manufactures, add pods once, and feed these guys with a small dash of live phyto.

In addition, the good guy algae’s and bacteria’s which you want LOVE stable chemistry in contrast to the pest stuff which loves unstable or deficient chemistry.

So keeping your parameters pinned goes a long way in the process.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or just get some real live wet rock from the ocean and call it a day.
Shet only ocean I got here in Illinois is Mississippi river and I don't think that'll help much :)

But for real live rock is hard to get true rock pulled out of the ocean and it is SOOO expensive and I am in college currently and don't have massive excess funds. maybe on the next tank build once I graduate and get a big-boy job.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The establishment does not end. The population and diversity continues to evolve throughout the tanks life, but some of the real good algae’s and bacteria are slow to populate.

In the initial stage “the cycle” would be safe to start adding ammonia makers (fish) easy within two weeks of adding dry rock, sand, saltwater, flow and a bottle of bacteria, (I only wait 2-3days).

As we slowly add fish, the processors increase to meet that load and so on.

But we can help in the process two ways.
Add diversity through different bacteria manufactures, add pods once, and feed these guys with a small dash of live phyto.

In addition, the good guy algae’s and bacteria’s which you want LOVE stable chemistry in contrast to the pest stuff which loves unstable or deficient chemistry.

So keeping your parameters pinned goes a long way in the process.
Super helpful and informative thanks for typing this up. Will go a long way for me!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shet only ocean I got here in Illinois is Mississippi river and I don't think that'll help much :)

But for real live rock is hard to get true rock pulled out of the ocean and it is SOOO expensive and I am in college currently and don't have massive excess funds. maybe on the next tank build once I graduate and get a big-boy job.
You don't need a lot just a few pieces that will really Jumpstart your biome. Several vendors sell nice established ocean rock that they ship to you wet.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 41 22.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 105 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back