What to coat inside of wooden canopy with?

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys!

So I took on the project of building a wooden canopy to replace my stock plastic one.
My main question is what should I coat the inside with to withstand water splashes?

I'm also planning on painting it black. How long do you think I should let it sit before installing on the tank?

Nothing fancy, just a cheap 2x1" frame with a plywood exterior.

Thanks!

spinycheek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it a few coats of urethane. Avoid the outdoor rated stuff as it has pesticides incorporated in it. Indoor urethane should hold up pretty well since it's really just a kind of plastic. Sand the wood down really smooth, like 320 grit before coating. Sand and re-coat then buff it with a paper bag. That should give you a really nice smooth finish that is easy to wipe down. I've never built my own canopy, but I've done this on my kid's furniture and it's held up really well to extreme abuse including water/juice spills, cat vomit, shoes, etc.

Let it air for a week before putting on tank.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that. I'll give it a look into!
I've done some woodwork, but very little coating. Just an animation table I made some time ago.

Do you recommend any type of spray that will require minimal sanding? Going to send the pieces before joining together, but it might be a bit of a pain getting a nice smooth perfect finish on the frame ;)

Thanks!

spinycheek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you recommend any type of spray that will require minimal sanding? Going to send the pieces before joining together, but it might be a bit of a pain getting a nice smooth perfect finish on the frame ;)

Thanks!

I personally never have used the sprays, mainly because I like to really slather the urethane on, but I see what you're saying about the sanding it once it's assembled. I think it's easier to get a smooth coat if you brush it on with a foam brush and let it settle, that way you won't get the splattery/rough effect like spray paint leaves.

Marine paint & chrome bubblewrap to reflect all the light.

A reflective color I agree is a good option. I didn't go with foil, but I noticed that after painting my old canopy white inside, it really brightened up the tank.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally never have used the sprays, mainly because I like to really slather the urethane on, but I see what you're saying about the sanding it once it's assembled. I think it's easier to get a smooth coat if you brush it on with a foam brush and let it settle, that way you won't get the splattery/rough effect like spray paint leaves.

A reflective color I agree is a good option. I didn't go with foil, but I noticed that after painting my old canopy white inside, it really brightened up the tank.
Ok for sure. Maybe I'll keep it simple & use a urethane then. Shouldn't be too big an issue to brush.
I'm not too concerned if it's rough, since it's the interior =)

SteveSTL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spar varnish. It's a long oil (short resin) product made for ships, boats, exterior stuff, that is subjected to heat, water, saltwater - your exact environment. It does not contain any fungicides, mildecides, pesticides or anything ide. Just resin, oil and a carrier.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 75 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back