What to do with all the clownfish after breeding?

AtlCPA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering trying out breeding clownfish with my kids this summer and just for a fun project. Would be doing for the same reason most other things in this hobby, for fun and the experience of it. I’d also do some type of designer clowns.

IF, and I know it’s an IF, I was successful, I’m not sure what I would do with 50 clownfish. I don’t have any interest in selling them one at a time and certainly wouldn’t be doing it to make money.

Are many LFS open to trading for store credit or anyone on here interested buying 50 at a time?

I don’t want to go down this road if I will likely get stuck with 50 clowns I can’t give away.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get someone in your local reef club (or a nearby reef club) interested in a "clownfish harem" tank. :D

OP
OP
AtlCPA

AtlCPA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get someone in your local reef club (or a nearby reef club) interested in a "clownfish harem" tank. :D

Yeah, that’s slightly what I’m afraid I’m going to end up with.

Ark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Keep in mind the fry will take some time to get to a size where you can sell them. Usually takes about 6 months to a year to get 3/4 to a inch in size. You can keep a clutch in a 40b with a 30 gallon sump with no prob. You just have to make sure you clean the detrius with daily feedings at least 2x per day. Breeding clownfish is very rewarding. Keeping the fry alive is the most challenging part. It will require at least an hour to 2 hours a day of your time between the broodstock, fry and maintaining rotifers. It’s not hard but like anything else in this hobby consistency is key. Good luck:)

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to talk to your LFS before and see what they are willing to do. We have several LFS that support local breeders in my area, I do bags of 10 regulars and usually 2 to 4 of each designer and can easily sell 100+ between the diffrent LFS on a Saturday

OP
OP
AtlCPA

AtlCPA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to talk to your LFS before and see what they are willing to do. We have several LFS that support local breeders in my area, I do bags of 10 regulars and usually 2 to 4 of each designer and can easily sell 100+ between the diffrent LFS on a Saturday

Ok, thanks, good to know.

ChloG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah clowns are pretty popular as well. I never seemed to have a trouble selling them off. Especially the designer clowns

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you sell em for? 8$ a piece I’m assuming you aren’t getting a ton for them even if they are designer

OP
OP
AtlCPA

AtlCPA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, bumping an old one. I’m all in on this. I have about a 100 gallon system now set up for this........34 gal frag tank connected just for volume, but 2 ten gallons, a 20 gal, and a 40 gal breeder sump all connected. Could add another 10 gal.

Ordered a pair of Mocha Storms from sustainability aquatics. Have a pair of Ocellaris I’ve had that are certainly old enough........AND I have a special pair of Zombies from Robert King.

Go big or go home I guess.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome setup, good choice on clowns and great choice on Sustainable Aquatics.
On Thursday I received a Davinci Roundtail Longfin to pair with my daughter's extreme misbar darwin roundtail longfin.
Here they are, COCO and PUFF
IMG_20191114_191611.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 69 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back