What type of cement for diy frag plugs

bbrian189

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of portland cement should I use for my diy frag plugs.. I have read type 1, 2, or 3. Does it matter which one? Which one is the best.

Also any paticular type of play sand is okay as well?

I am going to go look for this stuff at home depot.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any will be fine... Super glue and substrate works just as well and looks a lot better fwiw... Marco even sells a great mortor kit...

Onedesign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to make some too. Have seen both the cement method and superglue (CA). Patch type cement with 3 parts aragonite sand to 1 part cement seems like the ticket made in a wet sand mold. The Superglue would definitely be fast and cleaner looking but cost a heck of alot more. Once I get around to it I post it up.

Hahnmeister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Portland Type 3 is what you want to use for many reasons over the others, mostly because of its quick cure time and white color. Avoid 2. 1 will take forever to cure.

Hahnmeister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends on the type of piece you want to make... back wall/bottom plate, overflow surround, corner piece, arch/pillar, pump holder/hider, caves, shelves, etc...

filtersock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use ceramic. lol go to the nearest pottery lady an grab a huge block for 12 bucks an make a ton of frags. lol i made enough for the rest of my reefing lifetime

DJ_in_WV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should also cure them before use in a acid based bath to stabilize the ph better safe than sorry. I use a shallow pan with wet sugar fine sand( wet like you would builds a sand castle out of) and push a plug into the sand to form the depression copy and fill with the mix then let the whole thing dry out and the sand that left is reuseable for your next batch

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 124 42.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 138 47.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 3.1%
Back