What varios pump is for me?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building out a 72 bowfront. Sump right under tank, but I see some pretty decent head loss on the charts. Which varios pump would be best? For powerheads jm using octopulse 2s. Just got one in like last week. Thanks BRS for great Shipping as always!

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building out a 72 bowfront. Sump right under tank, but I see some pretty decent head loss on the charts. Which varios pump would be best? For powerheads jm using octopulse 2s. Just got one in like last week. Thanks BRS for great Shipping as always!

For me, a single VarioS-6 would be my choice. I've been thinking of flow in a completely different way since we did the BRS/WWC Hybrid series in that, flow in the DT and flow through the sump are completely independent of each other.

This in mind, really all I need a return pump to provide (in terms of flow) is enough turnover through my sump to heat and filter the water multiple times throughout the day. Whereas flow inside the tank for coral metabolic function is solely based on the powerheads and pumps inside the display tank. That said I don't really need a TON of GPH turnover the DC tunable nature of a VarioS-6 means I can tone it down to 2-5X turnover and give my filtration enough contact time to work effectively and efficiently.

This really is summed up best in Ryan's BRS/WWC Flow episode here!

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, a single VarioS-6 would be my choice. I've been thinking of flow in a completely different way since we did the BRS/WWC Hybrid series in that, flow in the DT and flow through the sump are completely independent of each other.

This in mind, really all I need a return pump to provide (in terms of flow) is enough turnover through my sump to heat and filter the water multiple times throughout the day. Whereas flow inside the tank for coral metabolic function is solely based on the powerheads and pumps inside the display tank. That said I don't really need a TON of GPH turnover the DC tunable nature of a VarioS-6 means I can tone it down to 2-5X turnover and give my filtration enough contact time to work effectively and efficiently.

This really is summed up best in Ryan's BRS/WWC Flow episode here!

I loved that one! I was leaning that way, but wasn't sure if the 8 was needed from headloss, but thinking of it that way, a 6 is a great option!

The heavy lifting will be from the octopulse pair.

Thanks sir!

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved that one! I was leaning that way, but wasn't sure if the 8 was needed from headloss, but thinking of it that way, a 6 is a great option!

The heavy lifting will be from the octopulse pair.

Thanks sir!
I use a varios 6 for a 120 gallon and it’s plenty which includes feeding my algae scrubber.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a varios 6 for a 120 gallon and it’s plenty which includes feeding my algae scrubber.
Sounds like I'll be fine then. I have a jebao from my old 90 I'll likely start using to get tank running, but if I come across a few extra #$ is like to upgrade it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 114 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back