What was the HARDEST reef keeping lesson you've learned to date?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This hobby we call "reef keeping" is full of ups and downs, ebbing and flowing with plenty of lessons, good and bad, to be learned!

What's been the hardest reef keeping lesson you've learned to date?

*please keep comments focused on the husbandry and maintaining of your reef. Thanks.
1715278666319.png

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardest lesson I learned was to have a lot of patience. I lost a lot of coral in the beginning. Both by correcting problems too quickly, or by adding livestock too soon. Now I think of reefing like a ship. It takes a while to get off course, but it usually takes even longer to right the ship. Patience and stability are 90% of my success.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardest lesson I learned was not to let that Bobbit worm into the tank. If I would have known that a creature like that could come in, I would have been a lot more careful to check things out and not just throw it in the tank. Breaking down a 120 gallon tank could have been avoided.

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hardest lesson was learning that I need to stop listening to people on forums, Facebook groups, and Youtube videos. I followed along, did as I was supposed to, and still failed miserably. When you follow the advice and run into issues, I found those folks were all the sudden silent or quick to tell me that their advice probably worked but I had messed up something else that made it not work. Six months in on my first reef I shut it down out of frustration and just not enjoying it at all. When I restarted almost two years ago I ignored all of it and followed what I knew from 20+ years of keeping freshwater fish and koi ponds. Now I am running two tanks with ease and my biggest issue being impatient with coral growth.

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardest lesson I learned was to have a lot of patience. I lost a lot of coral in the beginning. Both by correcting problems too quickly, or by adding livestock too soon. Now I think of reefing like a ship. It takes a while to get off course, but it usually takes even longer to right the ship. Patience and stability are 90% of my success.
Totally agree with you. In the past I have a dosing pump failed to dose. My KH drop from 8.3 to 7.3 in about a 10 days until I question myself why the dosing container is still full. I didn't correct the KH overnight by over reacting. Instead I took 3 weeks to slowly bring the KH back to 8.3. Cross my figure and I didn't lost any SPS. Here is my picture of my 110 gal as today. Every pieces of SPS, LPS and the fish are happy and healthy.

Attachments

• 20240428_151238 (1).jpg
    20240428_151238 (1).jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 23

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for patience. It was extremely difficult for me since I had little to no patience to start with. I've been able to apply the patience the hobby has taught me to my day to day life and not being angry all the time is a bit more relaxing.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not planning ahead for expansion in the sump/cabinet area.

I didn't know that I'd someday want dosers, a carbon reactor (manifold!!!), etc.

There's too much info about the saltwater hobby and at the beginning I didn't even think I'd want corals - or certainly not many corals.

edit: runner up - preparing rock stack properly and with reinforcement. nothing sucks more than some janky setup your paid installation does and having a collapse that you can't ever get back the way it was.

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever issue you're trying to fix today, probably started weeks ago. It was hard at first to wrap my head around that. You really have to look back and look at the events that happened weeks ago, to help you understand what you're trying to fix today.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BUMP!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back