What was your 1st SW fish?

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang orchid dotty back I got 3 years ago after a 12 year break. I hate it! It bully’s my wrasses and any new editions. My wife picked it out so what chu gonna do. I figured when I changed tanks in November I would of been able to catch it but it found a hole in the rock and went deep. The rock was out of water for an hour and it still survived.

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A yellow bow tie damsel in 1985
My goodness i just dated myself ugh.

Jose Berry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2D1278FE-D31D-4B2B-B45C-0CEEB5D23799.jpeg
My first saltwater fish was actually a freshwater dweller. I say this because he’s a Green Spotted Puffer(GSP). Wife always wanted a puffer fish and being new to the aquarium hobby I set out to find a fresh water puffer. I found one at my LFS, cost me 10 bucks I was thrilled. We named him puffy eventually changed to Bloat and we got another named Bloat Jr. Upon receiving them I wanted to know what I was getting into. Upon research and reading I came to find out they are brackish fish and can live out there life in full marine aquariums.

I wanted what was best for them so I slowly increased the salinity in my tank gradually over 4 weeks and boom bloat is now a full time salt water fish. Technically making him my first saltwater fish.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A maroon clownfish that would probably defeat a 12 ft great white. She was a mean one, drew blood on my fingers nearly everytime I would put my hand in the tank. Pretty sure she was part piranha.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was a Blue Fiji Devil Damselfish. I started my tank back in 2014. He was in a 75 gallon FOWLR but he currently lives in my 210 gallon reef. I'll tell you though, he's a trooper. He has survived 3 tank crashes, and he jumped out of my tank maybe 4 times.. He still lives. Lol.

Wow. I’ve got a trooper of a fish too. Survived 2 tank crashes. But hey, nothing compared to your trooper. That fish is bulletproof!

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2D1278FE-D31D-4B2B-B45C-0CEEB5D23799.jpeg
My first saltwater fish was actually a freshwater dweller. I say this because he’s a Green Spotted Puffer(GSP). Wife always wanted a puffer fish and being new to the aquarium hobby I set out to find a fresh water puffer. I found one at my LFS, cost me 10 bucks I was thrilled. We named him puffy eventually changed to Bloat and we got another named Bloat Jr. Upon receiving them I wanted to know what I was getting into. Upon research and reading I came to find out they are brackish fish and can live out there life in full marine aquariums.

I wanted what was best for them so I slowly increased the salinity in my tank gradually over 4 weeks and boom bloat is now a full time salt water fish. Technically making him my first saltwater fish.

Love the backstory :)

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the first lfs i went to hooked me up with their plan of dumping in biospira and then putting in any fish i wanted, so my group was red firefish, sixline wrasse, ocellaris clown, bangaii cardinal, valentini puffer, yellow clown goby, and a flame angel. then a few days later they got a royal gramma in so i put that in too. suffice to say everything except the sixline died a couple of weeks later. not sure if it was biofilter overloaded or velvet or whatever.

so anyway, i still had the sixline after i dumped the tank out and started back over. kept him for a few months until i started getting serious about the hobby and researching stuff for myself before adding fish. so at that point i decided the sixline had to go, despite him being mostly peaceful for me so far. so now he resides in a frag tank at an lfs

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the first lfs i went to hooked me up with their plan of dumping in biospira and then putting in any fish i wanted, so my group was red firefish, sixline wrasse, ocellaris clown, bangaii cardinal, valentini puffer, yellow clown goby, and a flame angel. then a few days later they got a royal gramma in so i put that in too. suffice to say everything except the sixline died a couple of weeks later. not sure if it was biofilter overloaded or velvet or whatever.

so anyway, i still had the sixline after i dumped the tank out and started back over. kept him for a few months until i started getting serious about the hobby and researching stuff for myself before adding fish. so at that point i decided the sixline had to go, despite him being mostly peaceful for me so far. so now he resides in a frag tank at an lfs

Wow. What a story. That sucks. I once bought a court jester goby because the guy told me they’re easy. Explained my tank specs, current livestock, and lack of pods. Was assured he’d do fine. Needless to say, I watched him starve and hide for a few days before giving him away to a different lfs where o was assured he’d be held u too he started eating. 2 days later, he was gone. Sold prematurely and I assume didn’t do well :(

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang orchid dotty back I got 3 years ago after a 12 year break. I hate it! It bully’s my wrasses and any new editions. My wife picked it out so what chu gonna do. I figured when I changed tanks in November I would of been able to catch it but it found a hole in the rock and went deep. The rock was out of water for an hour and it still survived.

Hahahaha I’ve been there.

jvalentine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was a yellow tailed Damsel. He was in my tank from shortly after it cycled until I took the tanks down 4 years later. Sold him back to the same store I got him from. I know a lot of people have issues with damsels being aggressive toward other fish, but this one was a model citizen

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was a yellow tailed Damsel. He was in my tank from shortly after it cycled until I took the tanks down 4 years later. Sold him back to the same store I got him from. I know a lot of people have issues with damsels being aggressive toward other fish, but this one was a model citizen

Aww. One of my favourites. I’ve got one and he’s been a model citizen this whole time. First to eat. Survived 2 bouts of disease. No complaints w that one :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Electric blue damsel. The color sold me on salt water

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back